List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: GitLab
From:       Andrew David Wong <adw () qubes-os ! org>
Date:       2017-05-13 20:12:07

On 2017-05-13 15:00, Hack wrote:

> No, that doesn't follow. This is about the infrastructure, not the
> endpoints.
>

> > But why that doesn't follow? It is very subjective… Nothing prevents it,
> > mostly when the infrastructure hosts the endpoints…
>
> > Sorry, but I do not understand your logic.

You wrote: "So I use Gnu/Linux, rather than Windows (and GitLab rather
than GitHub)… But if I follow your line of reasoning, I should choose
Windows?"

For a personal computer user, the question of whether to use Gnu/Linux
or Windows is a question about which OS to install on an endpoint. We
distinguish between endpoints and the infrastructure. While we distrust
the infrastructure, we do not distrust endpoints. On the contrary, we
believe that endpoints should be trustworthy, which is why we've created
Qubes OS.

It does not follow from our distrust of the infrastructure that we think
you should choose Windows, since that choice is a choice about your
endpoint, which we think should be trustworthy.

> We agree, but we disagree about what constitutes "more security." We
> believe that what many people regard as "more security" is actually the
> illusion of security, and we believe that having more of the illusion of
> security is worse than having less of it.
>

> > It is a dialogue of the deaf…

> I think it is a useless talk, and I do not want to troll.
>
> Anyway, thank you for your attention.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS