List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: GitLab
From:       Andrew David Wong <adw () qubes-os ! org>
Date:       2017-05-13 20:18:39

On 2017-05-13 14:53, Leo Gaspard wrote:
> On 05/13/2017 09:40 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > We agree, but we disagree about what constitutes "more security."
> > We believe that what many people regard as "more security" is
> > actually the illusion of security, and we believe that having
> > more of the illusion of security is worse than having less of
> > it.
>
> I don't want to take a stance on this GitHub vs GitLab issue, but
> just a fact that strikes me as a really recent Qubes user
> (something like a few weeks):
>
> There *is* need for security in the infrastructure.
>
> Not when the Qubes system is running. Just during the first
> installation.
>
> I didn't have the masterkey at hand. My solution has been to ask a
> few people I know with different ISPs to check out the webpage
> with it, but it is hosted by GitHub.
>
> How, for trust initialization, am I to know 427F 11FD 0FAA 4B08
> 0123 F01C DDFA 1A3E 3687 9494 is actually Qubes master key and not
> GitHub's MitM signing key?
>
> Now I've made that leap of faith, but I knew no-one who could
> confirm it to me, except... this GitHub web page.
>
> > From now on I can be pretty confident about always receiving the
> > updates
> and any of my future system being installed with the same OS, but
> that's not helpful if the key was not actually Qubes' in the first
> place.
>
> Even though identity continuity already makes attacks (way) harder,
> in my opinion trust initialization can only be done by some amount
> of trust in the infrastructure, that is not perfect security but
> should be enough to reasonably assume the webpage is indeed showing
> the right fingerprint.
>
> That said, whether GitLab would provide more or less confidence in
> this is an entirely different debate, to which I'd rather avoid
> participating.

There are many other methods you could use to attempt to verify the
master key fingerprint aside from relying on the Qubes website. Here's
a brief, non-exhaustive list:

 * Use different search engines to search for the fingerprint.
 * Use Tor to view and search for the fingerprint on various websites.
 * Use various VPNs and proxy servers.
 * Use different Wi-Fi networks (work, school, internet cafe, etc.).
 * Ask people to post the fingerprint in various forums and chat rooms.
 * Check against PDFs and photographs in which the fingerprint appears
   (e.g., slides from a talk or on a T-shirt).
 * Repeat all of the above from different computers and devices.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org