List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Upload-Plugin
From:       "Niko Sams" <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-11 18:24:31

Hello,

> > - A Upload-Profile-FilesView - that display the server-side files -
> > as Quanta3 did it
> >   Quanta3 hat an individual dock for every profile, I packed it into
> > one dock with a ComboBox
> >   above to select the profile. (using View -> Add Tool View it is
> > posible to open more views)
> I like it. Maybe a direct access there (an icon) to edit the profile
> would be a good thing/
good idea, added it to my todo.

> > - added "mark as uploaded" feature (as in Quanta3)
> Good (I just adapted the string to the KDE GUI guidelines.)
thanks for that.

> > - Implemented Quick Upload (as in Quanta3)
> >   (one difference: it doesn't upload unchanged files)
> Good. Regarding that difference, I have to think about if it is good or
> not. :)
Usually you won't upload an unchanged file again. If you really need
to do that - use the UploadDialog.
However when you choose QuickUpload for one unchanged file exactly
nothing happens - which might be confusing.
When doing a QuickUpload for a folder with a files in it it makes
sense to upload only the changed ones.
I think a notice in the Output View could help here.

> > - Layout of the UploadDialog improved
> > - To display the progress I used now a KProgressDialog - instead of
> > the ProgressBar below
> >   the UploadDialog. When doing a Quick-Upload the UploadDialog isn't
> > needed at all.
> The second part is ok. But using KProgressDialog when the upload dialog
> is visible, is maybe not that good. IIRC with Quanta3 you could cancel
> the upload and make some changes there, if you noticed that something
> goes wrong. Now the upload dialog is gone, once the upload starts.
Ok, what do you think about opening the KProgressDialog above the
UploadDialog? so if the user
cancels the upload he gets back to the UploadDialog. Or should so many
popups be avoided?

> > > Of course I couldn't read it line by line, and I don't want to do.
> > > For the code, I have the following (small) comments: - please add
> > > doxygen documentation for the headers. I know it is not the case
> > > for all the other plugins, but i'd like to set this as a
> > > requirement for new code that is added.
> > I added them. (for classes and public functions)
> > Is that enough? If not - what should be added?
> The goal would be to make Quanta more easier to maintain and to be
> extended by contributors. So not only public, but also private classes
> should be documented. Just like to did in UploadPlugin, but for the rest
> as well. E.g the usertoolbars plugin is a good example, there almost
> everything is documented.
Ok, I will add more.

> > > - use KWallet for storing the password
> > Isn't KWalled used automatically by KIO? For my tests with a
> > fish-server KWallet stored
> > the password.
> I'm not sure, maybe it does. I have to test it throughfully, to not
> confuse with password caching.
I will test it further.

> > Yes - I would like to work on Quanta! I hope I find enough
> > free-time... For now I have enough to do with this plugin, but later
> > I plan to work on other parts too.
> Great, you're welcome here. :)

thanks :D

Niko