List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       "Samir M. Nassar" <quanta () steamedpenguin ! com>
Date:       2005-12-21 14:47:51

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 00:39, Jens Herden wrote:
> Are you aware of the fact that Quanta allows remote projects? So creating a
> quick hash is probably not very quick if you are connected to a server. You
> would need to download _all_ files in the project!
> We could use a slightly adapted idea and only create the hash if the
> timestamp was changed.

Yes I am aware. I should have realized that hashes were the least practical
method of determining 'state'.

> Does this mean that when I remove a space in a file (that will trigger
> another hash value) I have to manually check my file and confirm the places
> of the templates even if the templates where not touched at all?

Well, to be honest, I didn't get that far. I'm steamed, not fully baked. This
idea is clearly not fully baked as well.

The less said about it the better. :)

On the other hand, adding

<quanta:template>
			<obj source="$PROJECT/templates/foo" />
</quanta:template>

or your example of:

<quanta:mergepoint id="footer"></quanta:mergepoint>

isn't workable either. Quanta basically carries its own templating language
inside it then. A function that a scripting language really should be doing.

Or to be more precise, it would be a templating language unavailable anywhere
else.

This isn't a discrediting thing at all in of itself though. The idea is
attractive.

It could turn out like VPL though. A subset of Quanta that is a great idea but
because a lot of Quanta users are advanced beyond those features don't get as
much testing or debugging. Especially when you can do templating with PHP,
Perl, Python, or other languages.

--
Samir M. Nassar
SteamedPenguin - http://steamedpenguin.com/