List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-21 15:07:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 16:47, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> On the other hand, adding
>
> <quanta:template>
> 			<obj source="$PROJECT/templates/foo" />
> </quanta:template>
>
> or your example of:
>
> <quanta:mergepoint id="footer"></quanta:mergepoint>
>
> isn't workable either. Quanta basically carries its own templating
> language inside it then. A function that a scripting language really
> should be doing.

Until know we always suggested to use a scripting language (PHP) for
such kind of templates. But people were demanding this kind of template
support. ;-)
What we want know will be an addition and you will not be forced to use
it.
And we discussed to be able to merge the templates permanently, so
instead of the above you will get the template. Or make it
configurable, so when you insert a template you could:
- add a mergepoint
- merge permanently
- add a mergepoint  in a scripting language.

> It could turn out like VPL though. A subset of Quanta that is a great
> idea but because a lot of Quanta users are advanced beyond those
> features don't get as much testing or debugging. Especially when you
> can do templating with PHP, Perl, Python, or other languages.

Exactly.

Andras