List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-12-21 6:39:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> Well, that's the rub. Let's run with this idea though:

OK let's see.

> Say you start a project. You have your Templates (I don't see a separation
> between Objects and Templates, everything is a larger or smaller template)
> assigned and you are good to go.
>
> Quanta creates a quick hash of every file in the projects that is editable.

Are you aware of the fact that Quanta allows remote projects? So creating a
quick hash is probably not very quick if you are connected to a server. You
would need to download _all_ files in the project!
We could use a slightly adapted idea and only create the hash if the timestamp
was changed.

> This could make use of freedesktop's mimelib by checking mimetypes. Only
> files defined as editable by a text editor get hashed. So a project
> containing several dozen images and or Ogg Vorbis files, will not have to
> hash those.

Yes, possible.

> This lets the project know whether a file was edited since the last time
> quanta opened the project, by comparing hashes.
>
> Next step. When a project opens quanta maintains data that can be in memory
> as well as saved on project exit, of file layouts. Basically everytime you
> tell Quanta to insert template Foo at column X, line Y quanta commits that
> to memory/file.

How can you remove a template again if you know only the beginning but not the
end? I think it is essential to have the possibility to add and remove a
template.

> Now, if the file changes, and quanta has a note about the file in its
> foo.templates you get a passive popup, or On Screen Display (like juk or
> amarok) saying file was changed since last opening. Last known template
> coords were X,Y for template foo (shows snippet) This allows the developers
> to check what template foo is, where quanta thinks it should be, and where
> they really want it know, having edited a quanta project owned file outside
> quanta.

Does this mean that when I remove a space in a file (that will trigger another
hash value) I have to manually check my file and confirm the places of the
templates even if the templates where not touched at all?

> You wouldn't have to hold all files on memory, just the metadata, and it
> could be a feature that is turned on or off, so as to leave quanta fully
> functional on even the slowest machine.

Sure.

> I know hashes aren't the best method, since small changes can change the
> hash, but it seems like a workable method.

Workable maybe, really convenient no.

> Even better, if projects were able to share their meta-data on a directory
> writable by all developers then you even have the basis for a lightweight
> source control mechanism built into quanta. At least enough of one so that
> developers don't trample each others metadata.

Can you explain this more, I do not understand this.

Jens