List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       "Samir M. Nassar" <quanta () steamedpenguin ! com>
Date:       2005-12-20 2:16:48

On Sunday 18 December 2005 00:11, Jens Herden wrote:

> <quanta:quobhistory>
>     <quanta:quobmerge/ id="1" href="url where it came from">
>     <quanta:quobmerge/ id="2" href="url where it came from">
> </quanta:quobhistory>
> <head>
>   <quanta:quob merge="xpath:/html/head" weight="0">
>      <META name="x-test" content="none">
>   </quanta:quob>
>   <title></title>
>   <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
>   // <!--
>   <quanta:mergepoint id="javascript">
>     <quanta:quob id="1" merge="javascript" weight="0">
> 	here some script
>     </quanta:quob>
>   </quanta:mergepoint>
>   // -->
>   </script>
> </head>
>   <quanta:mergepoint id="header"></quanta:mergepoint>
>   <quanta:mergepoint id="footer"></quanta:mergepoint>

Egads! My eyes! My eyes!

I like my sources to be transportable. If for some reason X eats it and I
can't start Quanta, or I need to access my box remotely without X then I like
being able to dive into the code without extra's. Cleaner and leaner code.

Inserting all that stuff into my squeaky clean markup would kill me.

In web development people preach the separation of content from logic from
style as much as possible. This method basically tacks on a whole bunch of
metadata into the project itself. it is bad enough that things like
project.webprj, /template/, and /toolbars/ aren't blanked out of the project
files automagically but to then saddle the project files themselves with this
stuff is a huge burden.

Also, this 'feature' lends itself to corruption of the filesystem level. If
you are going to implement templates and objects then do it external to the
project files. If the application needs to remember locations where objects
are placed then do so via a meta-mechanism. Not within the file. After all,
Quanta Plus needs to know where the objects go, not my file.

Besides, do objects and templates get merged automagically on upload? What
about with SVN/CVS integration? If you want to implement this then before
looking at that low-level of a detail, you need to create much higher-level
concepts first. In my humble opinion. :)

--
Samir M. Nassar
SteamedPenguin - http://steamedpenguin.com/