List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-12-20 3:10:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> Egads! My eyes! My eyes!

:-)

> I like my sources to be transportable. If for some reason X eats it and I
> can't start Quanta, or I need to access my box remotely without X then I
> like being able to dive into the code without extra's. Cleaner and leaner
> code.

I agree 100% to this. We must be able to edit our code without Quanta!
But...

> Inserting all that stuff into my squeaky clean markup would kill me.
>
> In web development people preach the separation of content from logic from
> style as much as possible. This method basically tacks on a whole bunch of
> metadata into the project itself. it is bad enough that things like
> project.webprj, /template/, and /toolbars/ aren't blanked out of the
> project files automagically but to then saddle the project files themselves
> with this stuff is a huge burden.
>
> Also, this 'feature' lends itself to corruption of the filesystem level. If
> you are going to implement templates and objects then do it external to the
> project files. If the application needs to remember locations where objects
> are placed then do so via a meta-mechanism. Not within the file. After all,
> Quanta Plus needs to know where the objects go, not my file.

If your file does not know where all this stuff came from or needs to go how
can you edit the same file in Quanta and in a normal text editor without
breaking everything?

I see exactly two options:

1. the meta info is in the source -> you can edit it in whatever editor you
want and might break it.

2. the meta info is separate from the source -> you can edit it in whatever
editor you want and _will_ break it every time you touch it.

I admit that my imaginations are limited. So if you have any idea how to solve
this principle problem I certainly want to here them.

> Besides, do objects and templates get merged automagically on upload?

My current ideas do not have any automatic merging. You have to assign objects
to templates manually. But you may mean update the objects before upload,
this is certainly a good idea.

> What about with SVN/CVS integration?

What do you mean here?

> If you want to implement this then before
> looking at that low-level of a detail, you need to create much higher-level
> concepts first. In my humble opinion. :)

Please go ahead! I would love to read what kind of concept you can image that
meets your needs. I promise that I will try to think how to implement this.
I am happy about every feedback because I know that it is very easy possible
to develop something that nobody uses because it is far from what the users
want.

So what are your use cases. How would you want a system like this to be?

Jens