List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] RFC: Design for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 debugging
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2005-08-23 10:45:58

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 02:01, Keith Isdale wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2005 02:38, Frans Englich wrote:
> > An XPath 2.0 implementation[1] is being developed for KDOM, to be the
> > base
>
> for
>
> > all XPath needs, as well as to be the base for an XSL-T 2.0
>
> ..
>
> > I imagine that there will be demands for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 (debugging)
>
> Wow that will involve a scary amount of work to be standards compliant :-)
> Not to mention all of the "extra" XPath functionality provide via XSLT
> "plugins".

Yupp. No doubt about that, KXPath currently has a size of 12 000
loc(sloccount), and that's not even a feature complete implementation. But my
largest concern is not that it's a lot of work, but to be able to verify
conformance. That is, to find test suites. KXPath have about 500 hand written
unit tests which are quite good, and W3C is developing a test suite for XPath
2.0 Function & Operators(which XQuery & XPath 2.0 have in common), but for
XSL-T 2.0 and unique XPath 2.0 features I find it difficult to find test
suites.

> > What makes me write this letter, is it would be great with
> > API-design/requirements specification of a
> > debugging/tracing/hooking/integration framework from you who have
> > experience with those areas.
>
> My suggestion is to consider how you wish to expose the XSLT engine for the
> purposes of debugging. I would recommend exposing the engine via a protocol
> like xdebug. In my experience with KXSLDbg/xsldbg exposing the internal of
> a debugger engine via direct access to the variables/states in the engine
> has turn out to be a real pain to get rid of.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind(had no idea about xdebug). I don't know exactly
what is of interest, I haven't followed/used those (usually commerical) IDEs
which allows XSL-T debugging, and hence don't know what to design for. But it
will come once I look at it, although it won't be in the near future(but
perhaps someone else will).

Cheers,

		Frans