List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] RFC: Design for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 debugging
From:       Keith Isdale <keith () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2005-08-23 2:01:12

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 02:38, Frans Englich wrote:
> An XPath 2.0 implementation[1] is being developed for KDOM, to be the base
for
> all XPath needs, as well as to be the base for an XSL-T 2.0
..
> I imagine that there will be demands for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 (debugging)

Wow that will involve a scary amount of work to be standards compliant :-)
Not to mention all of the "extra" XPath functionality provide via XSLT
"plugins".

> What makes me write this letter, is it would be great with
> API-design/requirements specification of a
> debugging/tracing/hooking/integration framework from you who have experience
> with those areas.

My suggestion is to consider how you wish to expose the XSLT engine for the
purposes of debugging. I would recommend exposing the engine via a protocol
like xdebug. In my experience with KXSLDbg/xsldbg exposing the internal of a
debugger engine via direct access to the variables/states in the engine has
turn out to be a real pain to get rid of.

--
Keith