List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] RFC: Design for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 debugging framework
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2005-08-22 16:38:41

Hello folks,

An XPath 2.0 implementation[1] is being developed for KDOM, to be the base for
all XPath needs, as well as to be the base for an XSL-T 2.0
implementation(2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0). The implementation is
designed from scratch to accomodate the fundamental requirements XPath 2.0
poses, and one advantage of that is it can be designed the way people like
it.

I imagine that there will be demands for XPath/XSL-T 2.0 (debugging)
functionality in Quanta, and here's a chance to integrate a native engine
that's written according to KDE conventions and is tightly coupled with KDOM.

What makes me write this letter, is it would be great with
API-design/requirements specification of a
debugging/tracing/hooking/integration framework from you who have experience
with those areas.

KXPath is in a pre-beta stage and hence can large changes be done in a
relatively cost-effective way. I won't work on tracing hooks/framework in the
near future, but if people want it to look a certain way, here's a chance to
ensure it will. Phrased differently: if someone want to spec an API, give
suggestions, or have a look at implementing it themselves -- it's welcomed.

Cheers,

		Frans

1.
KXPath, located in branches/work/kdom/xpath.