List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] VPL toolbars
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-08 15:42:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 17:10, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to rewrite the toolbars for VPL. This is an old intention
> already expressed by Nicolas.

I don't think this will be a good idea.

> As I don't know the code or how they work I thought it would be wise
> to ask a few questions:
>
> - toolbars are DTD driven right? They have different buttons
> depending on the document DTD.
Right.

> - as VPL will have different buttons than source view every time one
> switch views it will have to load the toolbar. Is this fast enough?

No.

> -
> is there already an infrastructure that will easily allow this or a
> rewrite is needed? It seems that the toolbar code is pretty much in
> quanta.*. - code where to look and tips about where stuff should be
> implemented are welcome :)

You could create the toolbars and simply load the VPL toolbars when
needed. This does not require much coding, but using the
slotLoadToolbarFile() and some guiFactory()->addClient and
guiFactory()->removeClient, for example see the slotLoadToolbarForDTD()

But I don't like the idea, especially if in the long term you want VPL
to be not HTML specific. It's better to fix VPL in that way that it
works with all kind of actions that can be on a toolbar. So my question
is: what does not work with VPL and why do you need different toolbars?

Andras