List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Splash screen
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2015-01-21 11:19:55

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2015, 11:59:59 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> That said, I personally still think that the problem Quanta solved good,
> back then, is not that valid for the web development of today. There is
> only a minority of people who use static web sites. For anything else,
> you'll need good language support for PHP, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, ... or
> whatever the website leverages. All of this is provided by KDevelop. When I
> worked on Quanta for KDE 4, I came to the realization that KDevelop
> provides all features I required from Quanta back then, namely PHP support
> (including a debugger) and VCS integration - both at a level far superior
> to what was provided by Quanta back then.

yes, php support is quite good, ATM, however, the xdebug plugin seems to be
abandoned, at least, I was not able to get it to run with kdevelop 4.7
(crashes upon startup).
as for javascript, I did not see anything, so far.

> The biggest issue with using KDevelop for web development, is that the UI,
> by default, contains quite some things that are geared towards native
> development using e.g. C++. This could be improved though. There are also
> existing plugins to upload files directly to a server (i.e. without a VCS,
> one shouldn't do that though, imo).

confirmed - the upload plugin is a good thing, I use it regularly.
the only feature I'm missing from it is the lack of the ability to remove
locally deleted files from the server, this has still to be done by hand.
(quanta upload had this feature)

> There is also an experimental plugin to
> give a live preview of a website when some file gets saved.
>
> So, tl;dr; I'd love to see someone step up and polish the experimental
> plugins and create a kdevelop-for-webdevelopment which hides a bunch of
> things from the user.

that could be a plus for users who do nothing else than web development with
kdevelop, would be ideal if one could individually configure what to hide and
what not (with a preconfigured 'web dev' profile available as a default).
another reason for kdevelop not widely recognized as a web dev environment
ist that most plugins for that are usually not available as installable
binaries by the distros, users have to build/install them from source, which
is beyond the knowledge/patience of most :)

Werner
(I'm crossposting this to the kdevelop list, maybe someone there is also
interested in this topic)