List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Splash screen
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2015-01-21 10:59:59

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 23:40:00 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2015 14:46:20 John Culleton wrote:
> > I had it backwords. The splash  screen shows
> > Kdevelop crossed out and Quanta Plus alpha in
> > script letters. Is this the current version?
>
> You would be looking at a KDE4 alpha. Last I heard someone else was working
> on this but it was not up to the feature set of the old version. For KDE4
> we opted to take advantage of the KDevelop framework. There were numerous
> advantages and some trade offs. When I last spoke with Andras he had been
> working on a new parser which was not quite ready to implement.
> Theoretically it should have been faster, but then parsers are much more
> interesting in practice than in theory.
>
> It's going to be at least a week or two before I can find time to seriously
> dig into the code.

Hey Eric,

I'd of course welcome you back again in KDE and won't hold you up doing a one-
to-one port of the old Quanta to KDE 4 or 5.

That said, I personally still think that the problem Quanta solved good, back
then, is not that valid for the web development of today. There is only a
minority of people who use static web sites. For anything else, you'll need
good language support for PHP, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, ... or whatever the
website leverages. All of this is provided by KDevelop. When I worked on
Quanta for KDE 4, I came to the realization that KDevelop provides all
features I required from Quanta back then, namely PHP support (including a
debugger) and VCS integration - both at a level far superior to what was
provided by Quanta back then.

The biggest issue with using KDevelop for web development, is that the UI, by
default, contains quite some things that are geared towards native development
using e.g. C++. This could be improved though. There are also existing plugins
to upload files directly to a server (i.e. without a VCS, one shouldn't do
that though, imo). There is also an experimental plugin to give a live preview
of a website when some file gets saved.

So, tl;dr; I'd love to see someone step up and polish the experimental plugins
and create a kdevelop-for-webdevelopment which hides a bunch of things from
the user. Porting Quanta again from the KDE 3 version to KDE 4/5 may help a
few people out there, but quite frankly, it won't be any good for web
developers that do more than static websites.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de