List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Development issues
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2015-01-21 7:44:36

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 14:30:11 John Culleton wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:59:04 -0800
>
> Eric Laffoon <eric@kdewebdev.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 January 2015 13:17:59 John
> >
> > Culleton wrote:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > I gave up on Quanta years ago. The last useful
> > > version for me came with KDE 3.5 For a while I
> > > maintained an old version of Slackware just to
> > > get at Quanta Plus as it existed in its glory
> > > days. But html kept changing and the old
> > > Quanta didn't keep up.
> >
> > Well the truth of the matter is Quanta made it
> > possible to create new a DTEP to define HTML 5
> > but even though it is open source nobody
> > stepped up to make it. I plan on doing it soon.
> > That at least helps. Quanta was designed to be
> > so extensible it would not need to be updated,
> > and this just proves the myth of open source...
> > somebody still has to do the work. HTML 5
> > support will be available by hitting the menu
> > and downloading it soon.
> >
> > > There are reasons I guess to have a
> > > multi-language IDE like the current Quanta.
> > > But I much prefer an editor dedicated to web
> > > pages alone and with two windows: one for
> > > source and one for the web view of that
> > > source.
> >
> > Quanta is solely for web pages, but many of us
> > use server side scripting. My ambition was to
> > incorporate the ability to preview, and to a
> > degree edit generated pages. In any case a
> > newer version of Quanta would have webkit and
> > would be able to take advantage of editor
> > support for ECMA script. That would mean a
> > preview with the basis of the most popular
> > modern browsers. Still if you use server side
> > scripting your preview requires a web server.
> > Frankly I have one installed and I have Chrome
> > so I'm not missing this that much. How hard is
> > it to open a browser?
> >
> > > The unix model has always
> > > been single purpose programs and not the boy
> > > scout knife approach.
> >
> > How is web page development not single focus?
> > In any case our idea was always to support
> > whatever form of web development a developer
> > was working on. An updated version of Quanta
> > would do this far better than before.
> >
> > > My next web page will be written in svg using
> > > Inkscape. My current pages are maintained
> > > using Gvim.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing. On my web site I have to do
> > business, manage data and handle various media
> > for various platforms. I would not consider an
> > SVG page nor would I want to use a text editor
> > which which is generally acknowledged to be the
> > Swiss army knife of editors and yet lacks key
> > features to support web development.
> >
> > Anyway after your ideas I look forward to
> > receiving your patches and plugins.
> >
> > Eric

> > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> > Hosting http://www.doteasy.com
>
> I thought it was a general purpose IDE.
> I found choices for assembler, database etc.

For database you would want to use Kommander. Kommander has the ability to
make a plug in Quanta or be launched from a toolbar icon. Kommander has
drivers for numerous databases and allows you to graphically draw your
interface. It can do a lot more. For instance I use it to organize photos,
resize them and upload while creating text files or text to insert into files
to manage them.

> The old Quanta Plus had no such choices But it
> did have icons for opening an html file etc.

You're talking about an alpha, proof of concept. The last version on KDE 3.5
had substantially more functionality that had not been ported.