List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Lost menu bar
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-24 4:33:22

On Thursday 27 August 2009 12:36:30 am marbux wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I was wrestling with another issue and without thinking long enough,
> hid the Quanta menu bar. Now I can't get it back. Is there a keyboard
> shortcut that will turn it back on? I checked the list archives but
> didn't pop anything.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul

Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to add something so it will be present
in the archive.

To get around the problem with updates over-writing my quanta toolbar (the
system wide toolbar) I just include a check in my .bashrc file that checks to
make sure the toolbar is mine and not the default. If a newer version has
overwritten my toolbar, then the check routine copies mine back. For most
distros, this will require sudo or root access.

If you are interested, simply include the following function in your ~/.bashrc
file and then every time you login, it will check to make sure your toolbar is
still yours (of course the lines beginning with '#' are just comments):

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------#
## functions
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------#

chkquantatb() {
qpath=/opt/kde3/share/apps/quanta/toolbars/html
stdtb=standard.toolbar.tgz
dcrtb=standard.toolbar.tgz.dcr

if ! diff ${qpath}/${dcrtb} ${qpath}/${stdtb} > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    sudo cp ${qpath}/${dcrtb} ${qpath}/${stdtb}
fi
}

<snipped stuff>

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------#          \
 # config checks                                                                      \
 #--------------------------------------------------------------------------#         \

                                                                                      \
  chkquantatb                                                                         \

                                                                                      \

Just make sure you use the correct qpath path above and save a copy of your
toolbar either in the directory where it normally resides under a different
name (mine is 'standard.toolbar.tgz.dcr' above) or you will need to adjust the
location in the copy call here:

    sudo cp ${qpath}/${dcrtb} ${qpath}/${stdtb}

This just keeps the installer from outsmarting me :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC