List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Syncing server with local directory
From:       Ian Smith <iansamit () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-14 20:20:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

To James and Ikawe,

Thanks for pushing me in this direction. I've just spent a few hours
researching, and we will most likely go with Bazaar now.

Frankly, the website project is so small that CVS or SVN would have been
fine, but it is part of a much larger documentation project that is
theoretically limitless, and one that I hope will outlive me.

So setting up an effective distributed control system while the project is
still in a relatively early stage makes very good sense.

A couple of notes that may help others interested in going this route:

   1. The video James mentions is by Linus Torvalds, and is strongly pro
   GIT.
   2. By way of balance, there is a self-confessed biased comparison between
   GIT and Bazaar at: "http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit#Bazaar vs Git"
   3. Bazaar is supposedly much more platform independent. That is important
   to me because my friend uses Dreamweaver on Windoze. I can imagine this type
   of situation is more common in web development than in software.
   4. Bazaar Explorer was actually quite difficult to install and get going
   on OpenSuse (I imagine it would be much easier for those of you using
   Kubuntu, since it's sponsored by Canonical).

   - BZR itself was in the repositories, but I had to get the required Qbzr
      from the Build Service, which in turn gave a dependency error of needing
      python-pygments. Fortunately, that was the last of it but, for a while, I
      felt like I was back in the Linux Dependency Hell of a few years ago.
      - Then the readme said simply to copy the directory into
      /.bazaar/plugins, but of course there was no directory there
yet, so I had
      to read up to find a "safe" command that I could type into the
shell to get
      that directory activated. That command, by the way, was: "whoami My Name <
      me@emailaddress.com>"

All in all, I feel it was time well spent. Thanks again to all respondents.
I ended up with a very different answer to what I expected, but it helped to
address other problems that I was only vaguely aware I had!

Cheers
Ian