List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Syncing server with local directory
From:       Ikawe Saeem <ikawe.saeem () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-14 15:40:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I know that you have been talking about CVS, but if you should go the route
of one of the other mentioned RCSs (and I recommend that you do) here is
some documentation I found useful.

for subversion ("a compelling replacement for CVS", which works on the same
centralized paradigm as CVS, but does a "better" job.)
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

However, similarly to others on this list, I'd recommend using a Distributed
VCS (DVCS) like git, bzr, or mercurial.

In fact, to the task at hand, "syncing your development file system to
various hosts", I have found a DVCS to be a great solution. You develop on
one repository, and your hosted project is a clone of that repository. So to
sync development and production, you simply push changes from development to
production. To get files and changes your friend has added, you pull the
changes from her repository.

You might have to read up on how DVCS works to appreciate the solution, but
it's the one I use every day.