List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] confused about starting a new project
From:       Michael Friendly <friendly () yorku ! ca>
Date:       2009-08-20 14:59:09

Werner:
Your comments (and those of others) were very helpful, and helped
remove one layer of mist in my understanding.  I'm responding mainly
to leave a trail for others who have similar questions.
What I did was:
- Entered a current copy of the remote site as a Local project
- Configured the upload profile to connect/update the remote site

For testing changes, additions, etc. I now see two possible routes:
(a) select 'Use prefix view' in properties, giving 'my.remote.host'
as the prefix
(b) just configure my apache server to recogize '/my.local.project' as the
local root for this tree.

In my case, I think (a) is easiest, because the site makes heavy use of
an SQL database that resides on my.remote.host and the website contains
a config.php file that specifies database username, password, database
host, etc. Thus, to test the site on my local server, I would have to
make local changes to the config info that should not be uploaded to
my.remote.host.

Do you agree?

thanks again,
-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.