List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] confused about starting a new project
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2009-08-20 18:11:19

Am Thursday 20 August 2009 16:59:09 schrieb Michael Friendly:
> Werner:
> Your comments (and those of others) were very helpful, and helped
> remove one layer of mist in my understanding.  I'm responding mainly
> to leave a trail for others who have similar questions.
> What I did was:
> - Entered a current copy of the remote site as a Local project
> - Configured the upload profile to connect/update the remote site
>
> For testing changes, additions, etc. I now see two possible routes:
> (a) select 'Use prefix view' in properties, giving 'my.remote.host'
> as the prefix
> (b) just configure my apache server to recogize '/my.local.project' as the
> local root for this tree.
>
> In my case, I think (a) is easiest, because the site makes heavy use of
> an SQL database that resides on my.remote.host and the website contains
> a config.php file that specifies database username, password, database
> host, etc. Thus, to test the site on my local server, I would have to
> make local changes to the config info that should not be uploaded to
> my.remote.host.
>
> Do you agree?

not 100 % :)
to be honest:
you should use both, (a) and (b) with preview for (a) set to 'your.local.host'

why ?
- php is a server side scripting language, so you will have to ensure that in
your test environment, the php files you are working on, are physically
processed by your test server.
if you work on local files and set prefix to your.remote.server, that machine
will just not be able to process what you've just worked on.

as for the config file, you can just exclude it from the upload/sync process
if your local settings are different (which is usual).
or, use a flag to switch between local/remote settings, e.g.

$local=true;
if ($local)
{
	// local settings go here