List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] PHP
From:       Scott <slewin () bmts ! com>
Date:       2008-07-05 12:24:10

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Quanta ins an excellent php editor. It does syntax highlighting and
> variable auto-completion.
	I have already noticed that.  Both the code completion and especially
the syntax highlighting are the best I have seen in a program.

> There are a number of visual options that
> assist in code development. It won't make a php programmer out of you
> but will make the php programmer you are more efficient and effective.
	True, I don't expect Quanta to write the code for me :).  Which visual
options are you referring too?

> There is also a debugger that comes with Quanta: I have been threatening
> to set it up but as of yet have not done some. Other say that it works
> well.
	Where is the debugger?  I noticed an older one called Gubed, but it
does not seem to be maintained anymore, not for three years based on
their web page.  Is Gubed still useful?

> I noticed in another post, that you are not wanting to make your PC a
> web server. I would suggest you re-think that. It it more than just a
> little convenient to be able to test completely on your PC before moving
> code up into "production". I am assuming you are using kubuntu so
> setting this up would be really easy.
	I have setup both Apache and PHP without any problems on my Kubuntu
machine and my little 386 Debian server.  One of the two main problems I
have is with the MySQL.  It is a pain and a considerable amount of work
to set it up and to make sure all the databases and user names are the
same as my website.  If I was writing a PHP/html site without MySQL I
would use a local test machine for sure.  Unless you know an easy way to
get all my tables and users over to my local machine.

	The second problem I have is that even if something worked on my local
test machine that does not necessarily mean that it will work on the web
server.

	When my site goes "in service" I will seriously think about using your
advice because at that point it would be nice to make sure something
works before putting it online.  At the moment I am just developing the
game and it is not in use, so I can play with it as much as possible
without bugging anyone :).

	You can take a look at my site if you like at
http://engarde.elementfx.com.  It looks very bland at the moment because
I decided to do the html and css at the end.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04