List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] PHP
From:       "Robert Lefebvre" <robert.r.lefebvre () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-02 19:04:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

This is a particular application I am talking about at Bungeebones.com it is
a web directory but unique in that it is produced by a widget I made. It
will pull the categories and the links from my server and domain from any
other website by inserting a few lines of code.  So the links need to be
sent to the local server sometimes, and to my server from other locations
sometimes. I have not figured out a way to do this. It works great, took a
lot of work to do it, but can be difficult for even myself to understand now
lol (I haven't worked in that section of code for a while).

Basically, the category links from the current page display are sent tot he
cureent page where the variables are retrieved from the link. Those
variables are sent to my server with a mysql request, which returns the page
and uses the sites configuration settings to build the links of the new page
and is "included" in the new page loaded.

I think I need to have two machines locally. One, the server, then the other
a localhost server like what a website wouould be hosted on. That way, I
could address all my database queries to the remote server (like I do now)
and return it to the browser of the other machine. I only had one machine
before but I just did get a laptop so I think this email fixed my problem.

2008/7/2 Andrew Wigglesworth <ecadre@googlemail.com>:

> On Wednesday 02 July 2008 18:38:16 Robert Lefebvre wrote:
> > I have played around with this and wanted real bad to have a local
> > production machine for my phph/mysql coding work but found it cumbersome
> > get my existing websites to work. Mainly, the programs I had built
> required
> > that I include the full urls, including the domain names,  in the links
> for
> > it to work. This meant that any local script I was working would still
> have
> > to work with the server version. I would need to convert all the links to
> > the ip address of the local machine and then convert them back when I
> > launched it.
>
> Interesting, I would have thought it would be better to be making calls to
> localhost.
>
> Anyway, if you have to/want to work with full domain names, maybe it would
> be
> easier to temporarily edit your hosts file.
>
> --
> Andrew

MissionaryNet.org - bringing 21st Century technology to The Great Commission
Attention mission teams!! Build a complete computer lab for cheap as a gift
for your mission trip!
http://www.missionarynet.org