List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] 1000+ file project load times?
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-05-21 16:30:17

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 10:53:38 pm James Ellis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I should point out that the project treeview load time is a few seconds -
> the time until the tree is available and I can open files, it's the
> background tasks that Quanta is doing (run strace -p<the quanta pid> to
> find out) that seems to be causing the load issues my laptop is
> experiencing.
>
> Thanks
> james

And this is confusing. You're saying the project is up, you can use it, but
everything is slow as molasses for several minutes? Here's what you should
understand about those file operations... To the best of my knowledge we're
talking KDE/Qt calls exclusively. They in turn make requests of the file
system. The file system and associated daemons like fam then do their work
returning the information to the KDE libraries which Quanta uses.

While it is hardly conclusive that the problem you're experincing is not
caused by Quanta it is highly unlikely that Quanta is the cause. Even if only
a few people actually complain, based on downloads of source going back to
2001 and estimated growth of GNU/Linux use, I've estimated from several years
back we probably had over a million users. Statistical probabilities develop
with problem reports. Distribution configuration errors have historically
been as much as 40%-60% of reported problems.

Given all that I would recommend contacting Kubuntu. If I can get indications
of a particular factor I could dig in and look, but for instance something
like a symlink is not generally looked at in most file management until you
get to the file system or IO. If there is a problem with Kubuntu I hope they
fix it. Hopefully you don't have to switch distributions to fix a bug, but
I'd bet you would find this problem wasn't occuring elsewhere.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module