List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] My birthday present to Quanta /Kommander users
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-03-27 18:38:39

Hi all,
Today marks another birthday for me with a number big enough that even if
Andras and I take our shoes and socks off I still need someone else to take
off one shoe to have enough digits, but just barely. Did I give it away?

Want to do something nice for your favorite FLOSS folk hero?
http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php
(Forget that folk hero, support your favorite project ;)

For years I've wanted to be proficient at coding C++. For some reason recently
it all feel into place and I've been up late on coding marathons writng
hundreds of lines of code. I'm considering doing another release of Kommander
on KDE 3.5. I've aslo done several plugins and am working on several more.
the plugins are at http://kommander.kdewebdev.org in our releases section. We
also have a new contributor with a plugin there.

My plugins include a timewidget which now can automatically advance from hours
to seconds as you fill it in and a datetime function library of over 20
functions including the ability to add and multiply time. I need to update it
with the new add time list and subtract time. It does things like tell you
the number of days in the month, day of the week, day of the year and more.

My most recent is not up but will post soon. It is called Qt Action Proxy.
What it does is fill in where Kommander leaves off with MainWindow
applications. Unfortunately the editor was never able to handle a native
Kommander MainWindow without crashing, but does just fine with a Qt Designer
generated window. You can set up menus, toolbars and keyboard accelerators
using the included Action editor and hook them to scripts. There is also a
KPart loader plugin and with it and the database plugin I created loadable
data forms for an application. Unfortunately I had no way to turn on and off
toolbars and actions or talk to the built in statusbar. I got most of it to
work with DCOP eventually and ended up with issues in speed and stability.
Entery the action proxy. It takes your Kommander functions and talks with the
MainWindow. It's fast and stable, but you do have to get the name and case
right for all actions and toolbars you want to work with. I will release it
after some more testing.

It would be possible to do a lot more with this type of plugin but I want to
focus on new database plugins, widgets and KDE4 porting. Below are the
current changes in SVN for Kommander, which I'm thinking of releasing if
there is enough interest.

2008-03-23 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o it's about time scripts had a boolean execute slot! Accept action toggle
2008-03-23 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o Table - added keepCellVisible for my application - I will need to clean
up the code if I want to release it as I want to rename some things and do
other cleanup
    o ComboBox - added popupList to bring up the list without using the
mouse - faster data entry
2008-03-22 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o LineEdit - added gotfocus event
2008-03-20 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o made actions sort along with widgets in the connection dialog
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - enabled adding columns
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - enabled removing columns (copied from
table widget)
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - return column count
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - return column caption for given index
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - set sort column and where ASC or DESC
    o Tree/Detail (ListView) widget - set column width - serves as hide colum
at 0 width
    o Table widget - add column sort that does by whole rows - doesn't do well
with float as strings :(
    o TextEdit - added lostFocus event
    o LineEdit - added gotFocus event
    o fixed about dialog license to take text and files correctly
2008-03-19 - Andras Mantia <amantia@kde.org>
    o regression: add back the missing str_compare function.
2008-03-18 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o raised the number of allowed paramaters for scripts
2008-03-10 - Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
    o enable additional slots in dialog and restore slots for actions - you
can now directly manipulate actions on a MainWindow via signals and slots
from the dialog

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module