List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Call for test
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-31 21:38:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 here is an early call for test the upcoming Kommander 2.0 version.
According to my plans, the first step would be to port the existing
Kommander Executor 1.3 to KDE4 without changing it too much.
This will allow the users to:
- use the Kommander Editor 1.3 until the new one is ready
- run existing dialogs without modifications [see notes]

As quite some things have changed between KDE3 and KDE4, there are high
chances that the port has quite some bugs. I tried to port everything
that was in the current 3.5 branch, this means that it has some extra
functions that were added by Eric after 1.3 was released.

This call is intended mainly for those who created Kommander dialogs or
have time to download a few from www.kde-apps.org and compare when they
are run under KDE3 and KDE4.

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible, either on the mailing list
or using the bugs.kde.org, with (short) examples that demonstrate what
fails or does not work as it should.

Now the notes:
- internal DCOP calls (@dcop, @dcopid, etc.) will not work. This is
something we cannot do anything about, as KDE4 is using DBUS, not DCOP
- external dcop ("dcop" command executed in a shell) will work except
when it calls a method of the running dialog itself (because of the
above reason). So an external DCOP call to a running KMail from KDE3
session should work.
- the DBUS interface is completely untested
- the executor is named "kommander", not "kmdr-executor"
- the code is in trunk/kdewebdev
- you probably need at least qt-copy, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdevplatform
from trunk to build trunk/kdewebdev. Kommander itself depends only on Qt
and kdelibs, so if you know how to do it, you can build Kommander only.
It might even work with KDE 4.0.x.
- information about building KDE 4 from trunk is on techbase:
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

Andras