List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kommander news and fund raising
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-02-27 9:19:30

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 7:50:44 pm Mark A. Taff wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 15:12:03 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > Gee mark, I wish I could live in that world... Unfortunately I wouldn't
> > be doing that in Kommander as a quick project, but in C++ and it woud be
> > grueling. As I said in my last email, I cannot directly detect the
> > protocol, but I guess I could parse the project file for it. Even so, I
> > cannot use KIO to my knowledge in text mode, which would make it all work
> > rather nicely. Of course if someone knows something I don't please
> > enlighten me.
>
> `kioexec cat ftp://user:password@ftp.example.com/web/index.php` will cat a
> file using KIO from the cli.  Consider yourself enlightened. :-)
>
> I don't know if the above works for all the ioslaves or not, but I did test
> it with ftp.

That's rather nice. Unfortunately I had to go all the way to the main.cpp file
to get the scoop. This is strictly a per file operation, though it does some
pretty cool stuff like watch for changes.

> > Given what you're looking at for bandwidth issues I'd strongly recommend
> > Subversion. It's extremely bandwidth friendly. It will get only the
> > changes in files, will handle revision control, enable viewing revisions
> > as an atomic commit and coordinate multiple users with conflict
> > resolution. It's also not hard to set up. Keep in mind anything for
> > merely syncronizing files is really a compromise in lieu of a better
> > solution. I use SVN on my sites and local projects. Offering this
> > additional tool is worth doing for me only if it is marginal effort or
> > someone wants to fund it as a sponsored task to suppor the project. That
> > said, I hope to come up with something people like that is useful.
>
> I run a svn server on my home network, and bow before the developers in
> eternal gratitude..  I can't imagine ever doing any coding without it
> anymore.  In fact, I'm about to greatly expand my use of subversion to
> monitor config files, and all of my network users' documents.

Yes, with kdesvn it's quite easy to set up.

> > Keep in mind that the 3x series is being replaced and in the 4x series we
> > have lots of work done on KDevelop to leverage as well as a better
> > platform. We also have more experience and we get to set our own release
> > schedule so we should be able to get what we want done instead of
> > shutting off everything that takes some time for feature freezes based on
> > desktop schedules.
>
> I know, but it will be some time yet before KDE 4 demonstrates enough
> stability and feature-completeness before I can make the leap to KDE 4.  I
> imagine I'll still be using KDE 3 for at least another six months, maybe
> another year.

I'd like to think it would be sooner. I need to confer with Andras to set a
release date but I'm not recommending people concerned with reliability
switch any time soon as we're still working on the KDE4 version. Some of the
really nice features I want to do are at least 6-12 months out.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module