List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kommander news and fund raising
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-02-27 3:50:44

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 15:12:03 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> Gee mark, I wish I could live in that world... Unfortunately I wouldn't be
> doing that in Kommander as a quick project, but in C++ and it woud be
> grueling. As I said in my last email, I cannot directly detect the
> protocol, but I guess I could parse the project file for it. Even so, I
> cannot use KIO to my knowledge in text mode, which would make it all work
> rather nicely. Of course if someone knows something I don't please
> enlighten me.

`kioexec cat ftp://user:password@ftp.example.com/web/index.php` will cat a
file using KIO from the cli.  Consider yourself enlightened. :-)

I don't know if the above works for all the ioslaves or not, but I did test it
with ftp.

> Given what you're looking at for bandwidth issues I'd strongly recommend
> Subversion. It's extremely bandwidth friendly. It will get only the changes
> in files, will handle revision control, enable viewing revisions as an
> atomic commit and coordinate multiple users with conflict resolution. It's
> also not hard to set up. Keep in mind anything for merely syncronizing
> files is really a compromise in lieu of a better solution. I use SVN on my
> sites and local projects. Offering this additional tool is worth doing for
> me only if it is marginal effort or someone wants to fund it as a sponsored
> task to suppor the project. That said, I hope to come up with something
> people like that is useful.

I run a svn server on my home network, and bow before the developers in
eternal gratitude..  I can't imagine ever doing any coding without it
anymore.  In fact, I'm about to greatly expand my use of subversion to
monitor config files, and all of my network users' documents.

> Keep in mind that the 3x series is being replaced and in the 4x series we
> have lots of work done on KDevelop to leverage as well as a better
> platform. We also have more experience and we get to set our own release
> schedule so we should be able to get what we want done instead of shutting
> off everything that takes some time for feature freezes based on desktop
> schedules.

I know, but it will be some time yet before KDE 4 demonstrates enough
stability and feature-completeness before I can make the leap to KDE 4.  I
imagine I'll still be using KDE 3 for at least another six months, maybe
another year.

HTH,

Mark