List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Database tools within Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-05 6:11:37

Hi All,
Some time ago Michal Rudolf did some work with Kommander and wrote a plugin
for the hk_classes database plugin Knoda uses. This enables direct access to
a number of databases including MySql and PostgreSql. I have tried both Knoda
and Kexi and with respect to my friend we hung out with who heads up Kexi
Knoda has been stable longer and just felt right. Kexi seemed more like an
Access clone, although a plugin could be written for it too. I'm also
thinking of having Andras write plugins for several of the data aware widgets
like the grid, date combo and others. You can access report printing from the
command line already. Anyway...

I had written a dialog for use withing Quanta. The idea was that you could
connect to a database and use this tool to assist you in writing SQL by
acessing table and field lists as well as using SQL templates you create to
make writing SQL faster and error free. It uses substitution like "[table]"
for the table name in the templates and can be user defined. Of course the
whole dialog can be easily extended or customized too using Kommander's point
and click interface. This leads to my question...

Due to a weird bug on my system that crashed hk_classes and just being busy
and distracted I have not worked with this dialog for a while. Looking at it
I see some things I thought were broken are actually just quirks of the
paradigm limitations of the tools. In other words before I release it I need
to test it. Is anyone interested in testing and debugging a tool like this?
You will need a newer version of Kommander and the plugin as well as the
dialog. When called from a toolbar in Quanta it will output text directly at
the cursor. If you are interested please respond here.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org