List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] I'm an experienced newbie - uuhhhhh what???
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-08-28 6:56:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:13:42 Robert Lefebvre wrote:
> Thank you Andrew'
>
> I found out how to add a remote site to the file tree display in the left
> colum. While in the display area a right click gets a "New Top Folder"
> prompt.
>
> Clicking that gets an option window. This might be where a little
> instruction in the form might be handy. In the bottom input area (with the
> drop down arrow) simply type in the ftp address of your site (
> ftp://my_site.com) One other nameing prompt will come up after inputting
> that and then the remote folder appears in the menu.
>
> I think what would be an easy fix - there are currently three button/menu
> items in that "New Top Folder" form but they are all local options. Perhaps
> add a "Remote Folder" option to do basically the same as the bottom input
> already discussed or just the "Remote Folder" open a help style dialog
> describing the ftp address insertion. I've copied this and will submit it
> as a suggestion if I can find the link.

I know the dialog you mean, it looks a standard 'find a folder' dialog
provided by KDEs libraries.  Looking at KDESVN application it has the same
dialog, exactly, bar the title of the window, so modification would be an
upstream thing (kdelibs?), probably.  Also KDE is moving to the 4 series, and
I don't think there will be much more development in the current series
(3.5.x), and I believe string (text) updates are pretty much locked?

I will explain briefly, because your other email messages indicate you are new
to KDE.
KDEs libraries provide kio slaves which allow you to access remote network
locations (and other media) just like local files.  The applications really
know no difference between working with a local file and a remote file (local
files are technically refered to as FILE:/path/to/file and remote files by
their protocol - others are handy such as media:/ which lets you access local
media such as cdrom and USB memory drives).
You can check this in Konqueror, or any other standard KDE application (Kate,
Kword, or Quanta), by typing the full reference
(ftp:/user@server/path/to/file)
Other protocols for web development that are handy are FISH and SFTP and FTPS
which are much more secure then plain FTP. SFTP and FISH work over ssh (and
only require SSH shell access), and FTPS is FTP with SSL, so they are all
secure by default, and are preferred if you can use them.
If you want to look into it further the wikipedia might be a good place to
start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIO

Hope this is of some help....

--