List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Docs
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-04 10:01:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 02 March 2007, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on some scripts that allow context help in Kate, and
> wanted to see if I can re-use parts of Quanta's Documentation
> handling.

Quanta's documentation simple is very simple. Of course you can reuse it
(its GPL, after all), but I don't know if you really want to do it or
not. It depends what exactly you would like to do.

> Are there any docs on DCOP methods that handle the docs? Are there
> any commanline tools that allow me to search the docs?

Not, as far as I know.

> Is the
> documentation something that is available KDE-wide, or is it
> hardwired into Quanta?

The documentation system is completely Quanta specific, but the texts
themselves and the indexing files are not hardwired, meaning that they
can be modified or new ones can be created.

If you just want to reuse the Quanta docs  in Kate and invoke some kind
of help for e.g. a command or tag, than the best would be to take the
Doc* classes form quanta/treeviews, and reuse it in Kate (or write your
new code, its very simple to do it). I think
DocTreeView::contextHelp(const QString &keyword) is what you are
looking for. The syntax of the documentation system itself is written
down in the Quanta handbook. The result (the doc pages) are HTML pages
shown in a khtmlpart.

> Oh and last question: is the general ML the rigth place to ask such
> questions? :)

Probably quanta-devel@kde.org  is better, but doesn't really matter.

Andras