List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Unable to load kdewebdev-3.3.5
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-21 2:19:50

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 5:27 pm, JoeB wrote:
> Ok guys. Did not realize I was sending in html. E-mail app format on
> auto.  Hopefully this time it's just text.
>
> I'd really like to figure this out but as I pointed out in the initial
> post I'm a relative newbie to Linux. As such, your answers make only
> semi sense to me.

Skip the magic aspects and go to relevent details to make sense. Assumptions
are your enemy.

> I'm logged in as root so rights should not be an issue.

Type this as user and root
echo $PATH
Note that rights aren't an issue, but environment often is.

> I am not using rpms, unless I'm missing something here.

Yes, you said you did a ./configure so that means source.

> I installed Qt, embedded and X11, as per the instructions with no
> problems. Qt seems to function fine, tried a few things in it using the
> examples, kinda fun actually, so I assume it loaded all those headers
> and development tools.

Sure, and what the blazes does this mean? Install == ??? RPM install?
Downloaded binaries point and click? Did you build it from source? And now
you assume... And for the third time the guy who is insanely busy with
business and trying to help users gets the idea you haven't read CAREFULLY my
previous emails. I'll spell it out with yelling to make sure.

UNLESS YOU BUILT Qt AND X11 FROM SOURCE YOU SHOULD ASSUME THE HEADERS ARE
_N_O_T_ INSTALLED!!!

Try this... Open a console and type the following
which kicker
I get the following
/usr/kde/3.5/bin/kicker
That means /usr/kde/3.5 is my $KDEDIR which I could also look at with
echo $KDEDIR
However that environment variable is no longer used as much as kde-config. So
now I look for includes
ls $KDEDIR/includes
it should be full of files ending in *.h. Try this...
echo $QTDIR
that should tell you where Qt is. Now do this
ls $QTDIR/include
You probably don't even have an include subdirectory.

> What I don't get is I'm already running KDE and Quanta so why won't the
> update just load? Since these apps already work and are less than 2
> years old why shouldn't the updated app work off the same dependencies?
> And the only app I want is Quanta.

Are you compiling from source or loading a binary? If binary then it is either
static or dynamically linked. Static binaries are huge as they include all
the libraries for everything they need in one file. So everybody tends to use
dynamic linking, which means if you don't have the same libraries at the same
version level in the same locations... Too bad so sad, brokey brokey. If it's
source then those *.h header files are the essential "maps" to the functions
your application will be calling in those libraries it will link to. Without
an explanation of those functions it's impossible so it dies with the message
that it can't find those applications. Of course they are installed and this
makes no sense... but when your distribution built them the RIPPED OUT the
headers and put them in a separate package. For Qt they are saving 2.7 MB of
precious disk space for you. Write them and thank them for doing this,
confusing you and irritating me, will you?

> I don't expect things to be Win easy, I'm from the pre-Win days of Dos
> and I enjoy the whole Linux command line and configuring thing, but this
> is a good example of why more people are not Linux users since getting
> answers to problems is sometimes a bit difficult.

Andras, add this to the FAQ - http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/faq.php
See http://tldp.org for howtos.

Let's be perfectly clear. We create the source code. It is your distribution
who rips out the resources you need to easily compile programs. And answers
are anything but difficult as I can point you to more reading on this that
you could do for the next week AND I've answered this three times now... So
comprehension is another issue, and likely because you don't expect a Linux
distribution to RIP OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO COMPILE PROGRAMS. That all started
with Red Hat and RPM.

> Although this difficulty is a plus for some of my customers whom I've
> setup with Linux desktops as it keeps their employees from loading
> non-business apps :)

It created a dependency on your distribution for binaries. It's easily
circumvented.

Please go back and CAREFULLY read my previous posts if you're still not
getting any joy.

> Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 December 2006 12:02 pm, JoeB wrote:
> >
> > Joe,
> > don't post HTML to the list! It will get you moderated if you do it
> > again.

> > one of two things...
> > 1) Trying to make as root where your root paths are not set
> > 2) Trying to build without include directories and *.h files installed
> >
> > Reread my first post. So freaking what if you have a binary installed. To
> > build from source you need to access the header files for the libraries
> > you include and I don't care how many times you install the binaries, if
> > the headers have been stripped out in the process of creating binaries
> > the configure will report them as missing. The error message out to be
> > updated to address the hideous behavior traditional with binary
> > distributions. This is only one reason I HATE RPM.
>
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 22:02, JoeB wrote:
> > > Qt is in there several time and the paths seem to match what Quanta
> > > is looking for.
>
> Its not enough to have Qt libraries, you must have the Qt headers and
> development tools as well (as Eric said, this is mostly in -dev
> or -devel packages). And I'm sure you will need more such packages,
> like the kdelibs-devel.  ;-)
>
> Andras
>
> PS: try to no post in HTML to the list.

Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader