List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Symlinked directory wont persist
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-27 9:18:01

On Saturday 26 August 2006 8:50 am, Bill wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been happily coding along with Quanta for so long now...  with no
> issues.  I also tend to run svn versions, so that really says something
> about the quality in the system.
>
> Anyway, this is a best practice question.  I have a project folder that
> I have created this project in.  Inside that is a symlink to a folder
> in my /var/www directory.
>
> Now, the initial project creation did not scan that folder (the
> symlink) as an available option.
>
> So I went into the project, did an insert folder, and selected the
> symlink.
>
> No problems.  Whenever I rescan or tamper with project properties, I
> loose the folder and have to re-add it.  When I exit and come back it
> is also gone.
>
> I tried adding the real folder to the project, /var/www/cpmfetch but it
> copies all the files over to my project directory - which I want to
> avoid.
>
> I can live like this, but was wondering if there was a better way.
>
> Running post-3.5.4  (svn from today)
> Debian "etch"
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill

I'm trying to remember if Andras had mentioned a bug relating to symlinks...

Here's what I've been doing for years. I have a sites directory I set up on my
local test server on my system. I set up myself as owner and apache as group,
then symlinked it to my home directory. Now all web sites go there. This
means I can save and instantly view all PHP and database pages as well as use
project preview in Quanta. I view everything at
http://localhost/sites/project/public_html/ but I could also set up a virtual
server. I put local/site detection and management into my base includes for
special testing needs.

I hope this helps.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader