List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Is Quanta the right tool for me?
From:       Thibaut Cousin <cousin () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-19 12:37:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le mercredi 19 juillet 2006 14:06, Nico Meijer a écrit :
> Unless you have *really* pressing issues to do this: don't do that. IOW:
> what problem are you trying to solve?

  I was only investigating the possibility of keeping Quanta as a tool, since
I like it and KDE applications in general.

> Save time, money and hair and get yourself a (few) good php book(s) if you
> are coming from a 'plain html' background. I'm currently reading
> "Advanced PHP Programming" by Schlossnagle, BTW. I also like Sitepoint
> books.

  I probably explained it the wrong way, because you seem to believe that I'm
doing something a bit exotic. Which I'm not.
  I *have* read books, and talked to professionals who did sites that I find
good, following strict XHTML/CSS2 standards. The design I'm trying to achieve
is one very common, for which I found several good sites, books and
tutorials. What's so strange about that?
  All I did was a template index.php. There are PHP calls to the database
inside, to fill the page with useful content. Each page has an URL like
index.php?id_page=12.

  Anyway, the question is not about design - I'm following a well tested,
common PHP/MySQL design, and it'd have been inappropriate to post design
questions on Quanta's mailing list.
  My question was about tools, about Quanta itself. Since Quanta has no MySQL
support, I guess I won't be able to use it. Or, following Andra's advice, I
should develop them myself, but that's another story...
  Regards,

--
Thibaut Cousin