List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Questions and suggestions from a novice user about
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-06 18:56:43

Hi,
if you have questions ask away. If you have observations it is best to let
them have some time investigating. If you have suggestions we have a facility
for requests within our bug handling. Novice suggestions regarding various
things often miss critical  factors...

On Thursday 06 July 2006 1:49 am, Yuri Weseman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's not been so long ago since I've switched to Kubuntu and Quanta. The
> main reason is that all of our production servers are in a Debian
> environment and we as a team want to start developing locally, using
> subversion to check in our changes.
> So here I am, trying to make sense of Quanta as a novice user. I like it
> very much, but have hit a few walls, which I'd like to share with you.
> Perhapse these walls are there for a reason, or I'm just not competent
> enough (yet) ;-) By the way: I'm using Quanta 3.5.2 (Using KDE 3.5.2).
>
> *Document base folder*
> /Fill in document base folder when creating the project/*
> *It would be nice to be able to fill in this folder already when
> creating the project, just like the templates folder and the toolbar
> folder.

Unfortunately if your site uses a different naming scheme your uploads will
create a new folder. There are several naming schemes employed by various
distros.

> /Use document base folder for previews/
> I would really like it if this document base folder would be used in the
> 'preview' screen, to create a correct url. As an example:
> - project root
>
>   |- http-docs
>       |-index.php
>   |- libraries

Previews are HTML renderings unless project preview is used.

> The folder "project root" is the root of my project. "http-docs" is my
> document base folder. I've filled in for my preview prefix
> 'http://mysite.local'. Now when I edit index.php and hit 'preview'
> Quanta will send Konqueror to 'http://mysite.local/http-docs/index.php'.
> It would be nicer if this would be 'http://mysite.local/index.php'. Of
> course I understand you could use a symbolic link, but this gets tedious
> if you have 100+ websites (to be exact: all 126 of them) that need this.
> Besides, this is probably something a lot of people would want. I know
> this has been implemented in Macromedia Homesite as well (server mappings).

One mine it would like like this...
http://localhost/sites/kittyhooch/public_html/
Can you see the problem here?

If you look at the project dialog there is a project preview setting where you
can set up each site. You can also set up your server to create second
virtual addresses if you have a lot. Unfortunately there is no easy "one size
fits all" solution to implement.

> *Templates
> *In Homesite you can create 'snippets' that contain strings like
> $${var1}. If Homesite would find such a string when you insert that
> snippet into your document, it would pop up a dialog asking you to fill
> in that variable, after which this variable would get substituted with
> the filled in details from the dialog, inserting the result into your
> document. I liked this feature very much and used it often. Is there
> anything similar in Quanta? As far as I can see my only alternative
> would be to create a .kmdr file, which is a lot more work.

First of all... we don't care what some HTML only Windows tool did, only what
you want to do. Look in the template help and at the template folders. There
is also a script in the Global Scripts section called TemplateMagic that does
this. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of interest in working with
improvements, but it was done with the old Kommander and could easily be
redone now. Anyway it does this and can also be extended to use lists, files
and other extended widgets. One of the abilities of Quanta with templates is
to run a script or filter on insert.

More enhanced features are planned for 4.0.

> *Project events*
> Firstly, I'd like to say I really like this idea. It's a great advantage
> of Quanta!

It's huge.

> /Global event triggers/
> It would be nice if Quanta would allow global event triggers to be used.
> This would have two advantages:
> - you don't need to create the same events for every project over and
> over again

It should be easy enough to create a tool to export events. These are stored
in a text file.

> - these events would work on files opened outside of a project also

You mean in Quanta?

I see... I'll ponder on this. It's an interesting idea, but it also could
cause accidental disasters on a massive scale. We went with projects because
it was the only way to have a clear definition of enough factors.

> /Bug when logging project events/
> Secondly, I can't it get it to work ;-) I'm trying to log which files
> I've opened during the day. I've implemented something like this for
> Macromedia Homesite and really like it, as it gives me a good idea of
> what I've done during the day, which in turn helps me to fill in my time
> writer... I've tried adding a project event using Project->Project
> properties. Then 'Event configuration'. Click on 'Add'. Fill in:
> - Event: After Document Close
> - Action: Log Event
> - Log File: /web/sites/mysite/log.txt
> - Detail: Full
> - Behavior: Create New Log
> and hit 'Ok'.
> After I close a document opened from the project I get a dialog asking:
> 'An internal action (log) associated with an event (after_close) will be
> executed. Do you want to allow the execution of this action?'. I click:
> 'Execute'.
> Now with my heart pounding I check out /web/sites/mysite to find the
> newly created log.txt NOT being there... :-(
> What do I do wrong? The permissions are drwxr-xr-x and the owner is the
> user I use to log in to my desktop.

Is this a relative or absolute address? It's looking for an absolute address
and if it doesn't find it you should have an error logged, but it might not
have.

> Besides: why do I need to specify the behavior? It would seem to me that
> when the logfile is not there, that it needs to be created and if it is
> there, it should be appended.

You may want to replace a log.

> /Where do the script actions come from?
> /As an alternative I was thinking: perhapse I can create a script action
> which logs this. So instead of selecting 'Log Action' in the 'Add event'
> dialog, I select: 'Script Action'. Now I see 'Action name' and I can
> select a couple of scripts. So I tried to find out where they came from,
> so hopefully I could create one of my own. I found htmlquickstart.kmdr
> in my Global scripts. But there are a whole lot more scripts in there,
> that aren't listed in the list for 'Action name'. What determines that a
> script can be used for events?

This is odd. I don't see a heading for this in the docs. Scripts are like
templates inasmuch as they reside in project directories, $KDEHOME and
$KDEDIR. So typically ~./kde/share/apps/quanta is where your user info is.

> *Using SVN from within Quanta
> *
> On the KDE wiki I found this page:
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Quanta+Plus+Using+Tips
> containing an excellent explanation on how to use Subversion from within
> Quanta. I've followed the instructions and now I have this plugin
> installed. The only thing is: it seems to only know from what folder I'm
> calling it when I've opened a file. This seems a bit odd, as normally
> I'd like subversion to be run on a certain file OR folder, not only on a
> folder of a certain file. It would be nice if I could click on a folder
> or file in the treeview and start this plugin on that file or folder.
> Even better would be of course that I would see a similar menu item like
> the one for CVS :-)

Install Cervisia from kdesdk and you will have full internal CVS menus as well
as a plugin tool for CVS. Unfortunately the tool you are referring to is
being used as a KPart and does not support the API that Cervisia does. We
expected Cervisia to offer SVN support but it will certainly be in Quanta 4.0
with KDevelop integration.

if you can get the tool developers to support SVN in an API structure like we
have with cvsservice in Cervisia you will have retroactive support in Quanta.

> *Using Kompare*
>
> It would be nice if Kompare would skip the dialog if only two files were
> opened in Quanta, or would fill in those two filenames in the dialog, so
> you don't have to choose them again in the dialog. I did notice that I
> can drag the tabs of both files from Quanta to the dialog to fill in the
> full path to the file, which saves some time. An alternative would be
> that I could select one of the files currently opened in Quanta to diff
> with.

Create an action. You can also submit scripts to our KStuff repository.

> Sorry for the long e-mail. Hopefully I haven't asked stuped questions.
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Yuri
Try to make them as focused as possible. We have a large readership.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org