List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Questions and suggestions from a novice user about
From:       Yuri Weseman <weseman () interstroom ! nl>
Date:       2006-07-06 8:49:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

It's not been so long ago since I've switched to Kubuntu and Quanta. The
main reason is that all of our production servers are in a Debian
environment and we as a team want to start developing locally, using
subversion to check in our changes.
So here I am, trying to make sense of Quanta as a novice user. I like it
very much, but have hit a few walls, which I'd like to share with you.
Perhapse these walls are there for a reason, or I'm just not competent
enough (yet) ;-) By the way: I'm using Quanta 3.5.2 (Using KDE 3.5.2).

*Document base folder*
/Fill in document base folder when creating the project/*
*It would be nice to be able to fill in this folder already when
creating the project, just like the templates folder and the toolbar
folder.

/Use document base folder for previews/
I would really like it if this document base folder would be used in the
'preview' screen, to create a correct url. As an example:
- project root
  |- http-docs
      |-index.php
  |- libraries

The folder "project root" is the root of my project. "http-docs" is my
document base folder. I've filled in for my preview prefix
'http://mysite.local'. Now when I edit index.php and hit 'preview'
Quanta will send Konqueror to 'http://mysite.local/http-docs/index.php'.
It would be nicer if this would be 'http://mysite.local/index.php'. Of
course I understand you could use a symbolic link, but this gets tedious
if you have 100+ websites (to be exact: all 126 of them) that need this.
Besides, this is probably something a lot of people would want. I know
this has been implemented in Macromedia Homesite as well (server mappings).

*Templates
*In Homesite you can create 'snippets' that contain strings like
$${var1}. If Homesite would find such a string when you insert that
snippet into your document, it would pop up a dialog asking you to fill
in that variable, after which this variable would get substituted with
the filled in details from the dialog, inserting the result into your
document. I liked this feature very much and used it often. Is there
anything similar in Quanta? As far as I can see my only alternative
would be to create a .kmdr file, which is a lot more work.

*Project events*
Firstly, I'd like to say I really like this idea. It's a great advantage
of Quanta!

/Global event triggers/
It would be nice if Quanta would allow global event triggers to be used.
This would have two advantages:
- you don't need to create the same events for every project over and
over again
- these events would work on files opened outside of a project also

/Bug when logging project events/
Secondly, I can't it get it to work ;-) I'm trying to log which files
I've opened during the day. I've implemented something like this for
Macromedia Homesite and really like it, as it gives me a good idea of
what I've done during the day, which in turn helps me to fill in my time
writer... I've tried adding a project event using Project->Project
properties. Then 'Event configuration'. Click on 'Add'. Fill in:
- Event: After Document Close
- Action: Log Event
- Log File: /web/sites/mysite/log.txt
- Detail: Full
- Behavior: Create New Log
and hit 'Ok'.
After I close a document opened from the project I get a dialog asking:
'An internal action (log) associated with an event (after_close) will be
executed. Do you want to allow the execution of this action?'. I click:
'Execute'.
Now with my heart pounding I check out /web/sites/mysite to find the
newly created log.txt NOT being there... :-(
What do I do wrong? The permissions are drwxr-xr-x and the owner is the
user I use to log in to my desktop.
Besides: why do I need to specify the behavior? It would seem to me that
when the logfile is not there, that it needs to be created and if it is
there, it should be appended.

/Where do the script actions come from?
/As an alternative I was thinking: perhapse I can create a script action
which logs this. So instead of selecting 'Log Action' in the 'Add event'
dialog, I select: 'Script Action'. Now I see 'Action name' and I can
select a couple of scripts. So I tried to find out where they came from,
so hopefully I could create one of my own. I found htmlquickstart.kmdr
in my Global scripts. But there are a whole lot more scripts in there,
that aren't listed in the list for 'Action name'. What determines that a
script can be used for events?

*Using SVN from within Quanta
*
On the KDE wiki I found this page:
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Quanta+Plus+Using+Tips
containing an excellent explanation on how to use Subversion from within
Quanta. I've followed the instructions and now I have this plugin
installed. The only thing is: it seems to only know from what folder I'm
calling it when I've opened a file. This seems a bit odd, as normally
I'd like subversion to be run on a certain file OR folder, not only on a
folder of a certain file. It would be nice if I could click on a folder
or file in the treeview and start this plugin on that file or folder.
Even better would be of course that I would see a similar menu item like
the one for CVS :-)

*Using Kompare*

It would be nice if Kompare would skip the dialog if only two files were
opened in Quanta, or would fill in those two filenames in the dialog, so
you don't have to choose them again in the dialog. I did notice that I
can drag the tabs of both files from Quanta to the dialog to fill in the
full path to the file, which saves some time. An alternative would be
that I could select one of the files currently opened in Quanta to diff
with.

Sorry for the long e-mail. Hopefully I haven't asked stuped questions.
Thanks for your attention.

Yuri