List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] different web site root
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-04 6:11:36

On Monday 03 July 2006 4:34 pm, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Le lundi 3 juillet 2006 19:22, Eric Laffoon a écrit :
> > On Monday 03 July 2006 9:26 am, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> > > Thanks, but how can I setup the project to do that ?
> > > I want only the files in the web root to be up²loaded on the server,
> > > not the whole project. Templates, .prj file, etc. should stay on my
> > > hard drive.
> >
> > Quanta can handle projects with a project root below the document root
> > and it recognizes both roots. Right click on a folder or file in your
> > project tree. You can set the upload status of files and folders...
> > 1) default
> > 2) upon verification
> > 3) never in a folder upload
> > These have intelligent object defaults for subdirectories which can be
> > overridden.
>
> Thank you for the tip, but I still have problems:
> I just have a basical ftp access to the web document root for modifying a
> web sites which is about 3000 files. For 2 practical reasons I need to
> store the project root (and all related folders and document) above the
> local document root on my hard drive:

This is confusing to me. We try to be as flexible as possible, but it is
inevitable that some conventions must be used to create some degree of
structure. Otherwise everything is a mess. Our upload facility uploads to a
mirror image of your local structure. Otherwise you would have to make per
directory or per file destination assignments and propagate them... which is
just ugly. Typically server accounts grant access below the document root
which is logically the project root. Otherwise you can shuffle things by
assigning whatever root you want and denying upload to your base folders,
especially given that they would create new and useless directories on the
server if you uploaded.

>   (1) the document root already contain a lot of files and folders, and
> it's hard to found something in it.
>  (2) I store some big documents in the project root. They should not be
> found in the web document root (because of size, secrets, etc.). I can
> right click on each file but what if I forgot some?

Select your base folder and declare it to either need confirmation or not
upload. Make sure your document root is default upload. Now any mistakes are
to NOT upload. It's not like we didn't think of that one. ;-)

> I can't upload with quanta because if the document root is below the
> project root on the local hard drive, that document root will be below the
> document root on the web site (because the doument root is also the ftp
> root.). Let me explain. See diagram below:

Exactly. See above. What would you like us to do that wouldn't be hideously
over-complicated? There are upload managers that may handle this, but it all
comes down to how complicated you want things to be. You can also write
scripts to shuffle files on upload (believe it or not) with Quanta's Project
Event Actions, but we only offer this for the truly massochistic. ;-)

> web server:
> - "www" <- document root and ftp root
>
>    |- "folder 1"
>    |- "folder 2"
>
> local hard drive:
> - "web project"  <- project root
>
> | - "templates"
> | - "web site"  <- document root
> |
>        |- "folder 1"
>        |- "folder 2"
>
> After upload with quanta:
> web server:
> - "www" <- web document root
>
>    |- "folder 1"
>    |- "folder 2"
>    | - "web site"  <- was local document root
>          |- "folder 1"
>          |- "folder 2"

Okay in this case you have inserted a directory locally into the tree. You
might try adjusting to the next closest to root directory on your server in
your project file which would mirror correctly and also would likely have the
benefit of all first level files being rejected by the server. However I
would recommend making local directories in your project root where you
organize not for upload files and not moving your document root in relation
to the project. This would prove simpler and would take advantage of Quanta's
folder upload exclusion.

> > BTW you can also set up multiple destinations too. ;-)
>
> You mean using the "Path" field in the upload project dialog?

I should say, multiple "upload profiles" in the project section, but this is
primarily for test servers or load balancing.

> Xavier

I hope this helps.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader