List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] different web site root
From:       Xavier Brochard <xavier () alternatif ! org>
Date:       2006-07-03 23:34:52

Le lundi 3 juillet 2006 19:22, Eric Laffoon a écrit :
> On Monday 03 July 2006 9:26 am, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> > Thanks, but how can I setup the project to do that ?
> > I want only the files in the web root to be up²loaded on the server, not
> > the whole project. Templates, .prj file, etc. should stay on my hard
> > drive.
>
> Quanta can handle projects with a project root below the document root and
> it recognizes both roots. Right click on a folder or file in your project
> tree. You can set the upload status of files and folders...
> 1) default
> 2) upon verification
> 3) never in a folder upload
> These have intelligent object defaults for subdirectories which can be
> overridden.

Thank you for the tip, but I still have problems:
I just have a basical ftp access to the web document root for modifying a web
sites which is about 3000 files. For 2 practical reasons I need to store the
project root (and all related folders and document) above the local document
root on my hard drive:
  (1) the document root already contain a lot of files and folders, and it's
hard to found something in it.
 (2) I store some big documents in the project root. They should not be found
in the web document root (because of size, secrets, etc.). I can right click
on each file but what if I forgot some?

I can't upload with quanta because if the document root is below the project
root on the local hard drive, that document root will be below the document
root on the web site (because the doument root is also the ftp root.).
Let me explain. See diagram below:

web server:
- "www" <- document root and ftp root
   |- "folder 1"
   |- "folder 2"

local hard drive:
- "web project"  <- project root
| - "templates"
| - "web site"  <- document root
       |- "folder 1"
       |- "folder 2"

After upload with quanta:
web server:
- "www" <- web document root
   |- "folder 1"
   |- "folder 2"
   | - "web site"  <- was local document root
         |- "folder 1"
         |- "folder 2"

> BTW you can also set up multiple destinations too. ;-)

You mean using the "Path" field in the upload project dialog?

Xavier