List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta locks when trying to load Projects from
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2006-04-15 16:40:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 15. April 2006 18:10 schrieb Matt Roszyk:
> I work with many projects on a remote file system (NFS) with Quanta.
> This setup works very well.  It is seamless and smooth.  The only
> problem that I am running into, which is not a big deal, is when I start
> my workstation, the remote file systems are not auto-mounted.  If you
> start Quanta without mounting these first, and Quanta tries to open an
> existing project that is on one of these remote file systems, you get an
> error of course.  The problem comes into play after I mount the remote
> file systems and try to reopen one of my Projects.  Quanta will lockup
> and consume all of what it can of the available CPU.  My current
> workstation is a dual processor, and Quanta only consumes one of the
> available CPUs, so I am able to kill it easily. My laptop however is
> not.  Unless I catch my error quickly, it's a futile attempt, and hard
> reboot is often required.
>
> The solution is to restart Quanta before trying to reload a given
> project on a remote file system, or simply remember to mount your remote
> file systems before starting Quanta.

strange.
I usually use the same setup - project on remote nfs-server.
I never experienced problems like that.
of course, quanta gives an error when the remote file system is not mounted.
then I mount, reload my project and all is fine.
which version of quanta are you using ? (mine is 3.5.2).
did you check other applications with this (kate...) ?

werner
p.s.:
I use the following code in a system startup-script to automatically mount nfs
resources if they are available:

if (ping -c 2 srv)
then
	mount srv:/mnt/pub /mnt/srv
fi

so there is no delay when the server is not available (which happens when
mounting via fstab)