List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Quanta locks when trying to load Projects from unmouted NFS
From:       Matt Roszyk <matt () treebutcher ! com>
Date:       2006-04-15 16:10:25

I work with many projects on a remote file system (NFS) with Quanta.
This setup works very well.  It is seamless and smooth.  The only
problem that I am running into, which is not a big deal, is when I start
my workstation, the remote file systems are not auto-mounted.  If you
start Quanta without mounting these first, and Quanta tries to open an
existing project that is on one of these remote file systems, you get an
error of course.  The problem comes into play after I mount the remote
file systems and try to reopen one of my Projects.  Quanta will lockup
and consume all of what it can of the available CPU.  My current
workstation is a dual processor, and Quanta only consumes one of the
available CPUs, so I am able to kill it easily. My laptop however is
not.  Unless I catch my error quickly, it's a futile attempt, and hard
reboot is often required.

The solution is to restart Quanta before trying to reload a given
project on a remote file system, or simply remember to mount your remote
file systems before starting Quanta.

Quanta Dev Team:  Thanx for your hard work!