List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Firefox external preview *still* not working in 3.5
From:       DC <dcmoose () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2005-12-20 13:55:54

On Tuesday, December 20, 2005 00:25, quanta-request@mail.kde.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2005 11:25, Jens Herden wrote:
> > > Any insight is appreciated!
> >
> > OK, I will give it a try.
>
> I am back :-)

That was quick.  }:O)

> With Firefox 1.5 I can see the same problems as you describe.
> Good news is that I know how to work around them.

I can hardly contain my excitement.  This has been bugging me for weeks!

> >   Error: Failed to send command: 500 command not parseable
>
> This is indeed a parsing problem that is new with the new release of
> Firefox. The problematic line in our script is:
>
> ? ? if ! $browser -remote "openURL($currentURL, $newTab)"
>
> Please notice the space between $currentURL, and $newTab. If I remove this
> space in the script it works here.

<trying it>

Yes, it works!

> But not really because the return value for the case that there is no
> running instance of Firefox must have changed. I am not able to start
> Firefox anymore. But adding a new tab to a running instance is working
> here.
>
> So go and remove the space and have always an instance of Firefox running
> should help you.

I see the same behaviour.  Firefox needs to be running for this 'fix' to work.
I can live with this until the bug is fixed in FF.

Thank you Jens!!!

> @Andras: is it save to remove this space in SVN? Do we call other browsers
> with this script? What can we do about the wrong return value when no
> Firefox is running?

FWIW, I copied the externalpreview.sh from /opt to ~/.../quanta/scripts (I am
the only user that uses Quanta on this system) and I am still able to call
Opera and Konqueror from closed.

> Does anyone want to write a bug report for Firefox?

I'll leave that to the pros.  };O)

--
DC