List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Templates in Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-24 10:36:26

On Thursday 24 November 2005 1:28 am, Marcin Pleszko wrote:
> Hello!
> It's good that discussion has just came back. I read the help file about
> using templates but found it has no details or example. Could you
> explain what DWT stands for? It would be greatful to see the example
> also. I saw in Quanta Event Actions but don't know how to use it. Maybe
> the answers could be put in help file then.
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Example - play with it. ;-)
Seriously, a new file template creates a new file. Right click and look at the
menu. If you understand your file system all this is is a convenient
definition of a place to use files in a special way and directories contain
special hidden files to tell Quanta what type they are.
* new file
* text snippet
* linked or binary file
* tgz tree of files
Sure an example would be nice, but I can't think of one that isn't
pedantic. ;-) It's really easy when you play with it. What's cool is you can
save a file as a template, highlight text and save it as a text template and
manage user and project repositories, as well as global for multi user
installs.

We try to put as much power into as simple and non proprietary concepts as we
can. Note actions allow you to script in the shell, templates allow you to
link to existing libraries of files you might download, etc... This is what I
don't like about how Dreamweaver does it. It forces those collaborating to
use Dreamweaver or emulate it, but it gives you very little back in return.
Think of Quanta as therapy for your strategic web development and Dreamweaver
as sugar pills and pain killers. ;-)

DWT means Dreamweaver template.

Event Actions can be confusing when passing parameters, but over all they are
simple as soon as you understand Actions. You'll understand that when you
look at the help docs on menu>configure>actions. Essentially they are
scripts, and to be more organized and secure Quanta requires them to be
registered in the script tree... see that part of the docs. Hey, why not read
them all. You may discover lots of other cool stuff. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org