List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] I love airfareplanet.com
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-25 4:43:01

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 4:17 pm, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> Hi all,
> just in case anyone is interested those tickets I found at a reasonable
> price on orbitz.com... Last night at midnight it said I had to call the
> airlines...

Just in case people are actually entertained by my insanity... I got the idea
that maybe I could show up late and still get in most of the conference and I
figured leaving on a Monday would be unpopular enough, as well as trying for
departure from Seattle. It's 3.5 hours drive to SEA-TAC airport for me so
that's 7 hours round trip if I'm driven. I figured I could get a cheap flight
or catch a bus or train. I found tickets I could afford and began
investigating puddle jumper fares. Apparently turboprops are golden because
they were charging over $200 for a hop. While looking at this and eating
dinner airfares went up $300.

Once again I could go and then I couldn't, in a matter of hours. I began to
search furiously, even going to a site with "zoo" in the name and finally
landing on airfareplanet.com where fares were half what they were anywhere
else. It seemed desperately wrong, but I clicked low fare after low fare
waiting for it to come back and tell me there was no availability. After a
dozen or so times I thought I had done them all and data came up... It set a
reservation leaving from Portland at over $400 less than the closest fare and
below the amount I had been sponsored for travel. Of course I'm confident
I'll get a phone call or email tomorrow that there is some problem with my
tickets. ;-)

Okay, dinner is on again... for now. Let's hope I don't have to transfer to
camelback or something before this is over. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org