List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Fw: RFE: Join function
From:       Jon Roland <jon.roland () the-spa ! com>
Date:       2005-08-22 15:58:49

I didn't post this to ask existing developers to divert from their own agendas,
but to encourage others on the list to contribute a solution. It seems reasonable
that someone out there may have already done something in Actions or Kommander,
and just hasn't offered it to the rest of us, or did so in a way that didn't get
our attention. Contributing to the development of such a large project as this one
is a daunting prospect. It is a steep learning curve just to get to the point of
contributing the first line of code. I also hoped that someone might say, "Hey, I
could use that capability myself, and I can write a script to do it, and offer it
to the group. Some of those people might then graduate to contributing more and
eventually become full developers.

I haven't figured out how to use Kommander yet, and I can usually learn new
language quickly. Need more good examples of code, since I mainly learn by
studying successful examples.

Incidentally, there is an inverse of the Join function, the Split function. In
HoTMetaL Pro one just positioned the cursor at a point in the paragraph and hit
return. The open tag pairs would be closed off at that point, and re-opened for
the text following. Of course, one couldn't use Return in Quanta, but some other
hotkey.

Again, I invite readers and users to develop and contribute these functions. Don't
wait for Eric or Andras to do it. I would if I could, but I'm too busy using the
product to contribute to its development, for the moment. If you visit my website
at www.constitution.org you will find a lot of important material, some of which
it is likely only I can or am likely to produce.

-- Jon