List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Fw: RFE: Join function
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-22 19:14:40

On Monday 22 August 2005 6:36 am, Jon Roland wrote:
> This was posted to the list but did not appear.

Didn't see it in the queue.

This is possible with VPL mode. Deleting the end of a paragraph automatically
deletes the tags and they automatically balance because it has to write
compliant markup and therefore all tagging must be balanced in _every_
operation. Text mode presents different challenges.

> With HoTMetaL Pro, I could just position the cursor in the following
> paragraph, hit ctrl-J, and it would join the paragraphs and insert a space.
> I could then manually delete a trailing hyphen and the inserted space.

Good for them! Aside from the fact that we use Ctrl-J for code abbreviations
you can define key assignments and easily write a script for this in perl,
python, PHP, Ruby or whatever. If not we're happy to do something like this
for contributors, but it's probably less than 10 lines in any language. Once
written it can be invoked by keystroke or toolbar button.

> But it would also join split tag pairs. E.g., if I had <i>some</i>
> <i>text</i> placing the cursor in the middle of text and hitting ctrl-j
> would remove the redundant tags, yielding <i>some text</i>, as long as the
> only characters between are whitespace.

Again this is handled in VPL. There has been some discussion about a text
emulation mode but it's not that simple to balance everything.

> While you guys are busy trying to add all kinds of neat functionality to
> Quanta+ (that I am likely to never need to use), it would be really great
> to add some that aids in performing routine, simple tasks that many of us
> have to do every day.

The question is what everybody is doing every day, and the answer is different
for everybody. Some of the functionality we've added that you are not using,
like for instance Actions, holds the answer to your needs. In fact it makes
it possible to auto run scripts on file save or upload. We've intentionally
designed Quanta to compensate for our inability to replicate ourselves or
keep from ever sleeping. ;-) You could write a new version without a single
line of C++ because it's the most extensible web development tool anywhere.

I'll put it another way... It is irrational for us to spend time on what most
of our users can do taking away from the very small amount of resources of
the core development that none of our users can do. To take that even
farther... It's not a matter of what we have not been able to accomplish in
our expenditures of time and money on this project, but rather the fact that
with less than 0.0005% of our user base developing Quanta and not more than
0.0025% contributing financially it would be poor management on my part to do
things differently. Our approach allows everyone to be satisfied, if they are
willing to accept some responsibility for their satisfaction. If it were in
my power to change this I would do it just for the fun of defying
probabilities.

> It would also be helpful to have a global cleanup function that would move
> spaces from in front of end tags like </i> to after it, and perhaps also an
> option to move closing punctuation like commas, colons, semi-colons, etc.,
> from in front of certain closing HTML tags to behind them.

There are probably already scripts like this available on the web. If you find
one that works you can plug it in easily. Please post any info here as others
would surely be interested.

--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org