List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Fw: Bug with V3.4
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-22 18:53:13

On Monday 22 August 2005 6:35 am, Jon Roland wrote:
> This was posted to the list but did not appear.

I'm not seeing it held in admin. Possibly a wrong address?

We don't generally do that. Standard procedure is to direct users to the
destination to file the bug. We have about the same influence as you.

> I use Finereader OCR http://www.abbyy.com to generate HTML files, which I
> then need to further edit, preferably using only Quanta+. But lately, as
> soon as I save a changed file, its extended ascii characters, which
> Finereader saves as characters rather than as HTML &#nnn; tags, get
> transformed into about 3 garbage characters, plus it deletes the first
> normal character following the replaced character. I have been forced to
> first edit the file using a Windows editor to replace the extended ascii
> characters with the corresponding HTML tags.

This is likely a matter of setting a compliant file type.

> I  case it works, I am attaching an example of an HTML file before it gets
> mischanged in the way I describe, in case others can reproduce the problem
> and suggest a fix.

I don't have time to look through that large a file to see if I see a problem.
It's only going to show up if I'm reading the wrong file type. Ideally your
software generating this should declare it in the document head. If it is and
Quanta doesn't read and set that (which I don't know if it does) that might
be something for us to look at.

I note this at the top of the document...
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="TEXT/HTML; CHARSET=WINDOWS-1252">
This means you can also have problems with returns and EOF. Using the
indicated character set for the file should clear things up.

> One fix, of course, would be a function that would just replace extended
> ascii characters with their HTML equivalents throughout the file (or the
> reverse).

We have this.

> I also have a continuing gripe with the lack of convenience functions that
> I got used to with my Windows HTML editor, HoTMetal Pro, which I will
> submit as further RFE messages.

Too bad it won't handle XML structural validation on the fly for DTDs off the
web, among other things. I'm about to gripe that we are thousands of dollars
behind on donations this year for sponsoring developers who I owe money too.
There is a difference between what you pay for and what is given away
freely... In this case you can emulate everything from every commercial
editor you can find with a few lines of any scripting language you prefer, an
Action and possibly a quick Kommander dialog, not to mention code shortcuts,
templates and more. In short Quanta can do more than any other editor, but
with less developers than I can count on one hand there is no way we can
fully customize for every user and we're not even going to try. Of course if
every user sent us funding or code that would be different.

> -- Jon

One thing to make this easier is for us to enable a global repository through
the KNewStuff menus and servers. We're in the process of setting up the
upload now, so even if you can't write these scripts we hope others will
begin making these "convenience features" into a huge smorgasbord of custom
options.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org