List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Transforming XML using XSLT
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-14 5:45:34

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:03 pm, C.R. Chambers wrote:
> Dear Mr. Bruggebors:
>
> Thanks so much for the reply, but it is not working for me. I think the
> problem is the DTD for both the XML and the XSLT files.

He was using the XSLT debugger. I am not aware that any DTD is needed for
XSLT. There would be a DTD for the XML file and one for the resulting HTML
but XSL is different.

> I am looking to use a DTD of XML for the xml file. There is no choice
> for just plain XML. The options are a bunch of Docbook XML, but no
> regular XML.

I think there may be a little confusion here. Those DTDs are for specific XML
dialects to enable auto completion and real time structural validation. There
is highlighting for general XML, which is functionally separate from these
advanced features. By definition I'm not aware of any standard XML DTD. If
you know something we don't then point me to it and we'll include it. XML by
definition is extensible and starts with practically nothing and then you
define your elements. I would like to have an easy DTD creator, but unless
you have a DTD you cannot validate a document. Quanta automatically imports
DTDs, so if you have one then great. You will have auto completion. If you
don't you can create a DTEP (Document Type Editing Package) using Quanta's
tagXML. In fact we edited it in tagXML so you can have auto complete for your
off the cuff XML files that have no DTD. This is explained in our docs but it
has nothing to do with XSLT.

> I thought what I was trying to do was simple, but after spending 4 hours
> trying to figure it out, I think I might have to wrong program.

Or maybe it's just not so clear. ;-) Open a console and type "xsltproc". All
we do is provide pretty packaging for this command and simplify some options.

> All I wish to do is run an xml file through an xslt and view the result.
>    The xsl is supposed to generate html. This is something I know I can
> do using XMLSpy, but that program does not exist for Linux.

Where do you think the geeks that write this stuff play? ;-)
On the left of Quanta there is a navigation panel. In the Scripts area (the
gear) there is a Kommander dialog called xsltproc. You can run it and it will
process your XSLT.

BTW you can also visually edit the dialog and change it to your needs as well
as examine the command line it calls. If you want you can create an Action to
run this and put it on a toolbar or key combination. Using Kommander you can
do other things too. I'm working on several XML tools and will be doing an
xmllint dialog soon.

> If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to get this done,
> I would greatly appreciate it.

It's always easy when you ask. Enjoy!

> Thanks,
> C.R. Chambers

If you still have problems please let me know. I am in the process of revising
our XML dialogs. All the programs that handle this will use the same
libraries and you will clearly see if you run xsltproc in the console that
there are a number of options which are not in the current dialog. It is a
simple thing to modify Kommander dialogs and takes all of a few minutes.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org