List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Transforming XML using XSLT
From:       Keith Isdale <k_isdale () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-07-15 2:48:22

Hi all,

Its been a while since I have spoken about my KXSLDbg/xsldbg/"XSL Debug"
plugin for Quanta.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:52 pm, quanta-request@mail.kde.org wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:03 pm, C.R. Chambers wrote:
> > Dear Mr. Bruggebors:
> >
> > Thanks so much for the reply, but it is not working for me. I think the
> > problem is the DTD for both the XML and the XSLT files.
>
> He was using the XSLT debugger. I am not aware that any DTD is needed for
> XSLT. There would be a DTD for the XML file and one for the resulting HTML
> but XSL is different.
>
> > I am looking to use a DTD of XML for the xml file. There is no choice
> > for just plain XML. The options are a bunch of Docbook XML, but no
> > regular XML.

Yep; a XML file may depend on a DTD though this in itself should not cause the
XSL Debugger to fail to start debugging.

> Setting stylesheet base path to
> file:///home/martin/public_html/paxlist/style/.
> file:///home/martin/public_html/paxlist/data/paxlist1.xml:2: I/O warning :
> failed to load external entity
> "file:///home/martin/public_html/paxlist/data/paxlist.dtd"
> <!DOCTYPE PAXLIST SYSTEM "paxlist.dtd"

In my view using a SYSTEM ID for any entity is not a good idea and can lead to
	o  troubles with the entity not being found
	o cause the XSL Debugger to abort debugging
A better way to declare and use DTD's as a public entities and then use the
"XML catalog" tool to add more search paths for your public entitles _IF_
required.

For example my xsldoc.xml example depends on xsldoc.dtd as declared by
	<!DOCTYPE xsldoc PUBLIC "-//xsldbg//DTD xsldoc XML V1.0//EN" "xsldoc.dtd">
see :
htp://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/xsldbg/xsldbg/docs/en/xsldoc.xml?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.35

Since you are using 3.40 it is likely that you have both the xsldbg and
xsltproc command line tools available so I suggest that you try running
something like the following to prove that the problems are due to the files
you are using :
	cd /home/martin/public_html/paxlist/
	xsldbg paxlist1.xsl paxlist1.xml
or
	cd /home/martin/public_html/paxlist/
	xsltproc paxlist1.xsl paxlist1.xml

I agree with Eric that using xmllint is a good idea if you are wanting to use
a separate tool to find errors in a xml/xsl file. eg :
   xmllint --noout --noent --loaddtd  paxlist1.xml

If you require further assistance please state
	o where I can download the files you are using
	o what options you have selected for the XSL Debugger (eg catalogs/
verbose/debug/)

--
Keith Isdale