List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Hello OS X Quanta Comrades! (was: Sayonara Quanta
From:       Chris Martin <linux () chriscodes ! com>
Date:       2005-06-08 6:34:05

Sean Schertell wrote:
> Hey Chris -- would you mind listing the steps you took to get Quanta
> 3.4 running under OS X?  Does it run perfectly with no -- oh but you
> can never type a plus sign -- kinds of issues?  I lost a full week of
> productivity in my efforts to get a really usable, workflow oriented
> desktop Linux system going.  Then when I finally decided to go back  to
> Quanta under Ubuntu/Gnome, I started getting kernel panics every 2  or 3
> minutes.  My projects are all a week behind schedule now and  I've vowed
> to never go through this again.
>
> So I'm switching to OS X indefinitely.  I love Gnu/Linux don't get me
> wrong (I'm very happy with my eight servers all running Linux) -- but  I
> need to get some bloody work done!  I've found a decent editor for  OS X
> but if I could get Quanta 3.4 running *perfectly* on my new G5  iMac,
> I'd be delighted!
>
> How'd you do it?  Was it hard?  Any problems?
>
> Sean

I was at the same point a few months ago. I was using Sarge which was
fine, but something had gotten mucked with KDE 3.4 expirimental, and I
was getting random Quanta crashes.
Then I re-installed Kubuntu on that PC, and it's been running perfectly
ever since. Definitely the most stable, and usable for me, you might
have a look at that.
I must say the interface is very customizable too. My desktop looks just
like my OS X desktop (minus the window drop shadows!) See the Baghira
theme, and the many OS X icon sets available.

As for Quanta on the Mac, the only "gotcha" I've found is that I can't
copy and paste between Aqua and KDE/Quanta.
I have a strong feeling that can be fixed though, because I know other
X11 apps can copy paste between Aqua. I'm just not sure where to look,
and have been to busy to think about it.
The other thing, that I'm not sure if I like, or dislike, is the
copy/paste is still ctrl+c, instead of the apple+c. I tried to configure
in Quanta, but it's as if the apple key doesn't even exist. I kind of
like that consistency though, because I still do most of my work on a
Linux PC.

I didn't notice any other keys not working, but I can double check once
I'm done recompiling.

Quanta can be installed on OS X via fink (either by itself, or along
with KDE). To get 3.4, you just need to add "unstable/main" and
"unstable/crypto" (no quotes) to the Trees: line in /sw/etc/fink.conf

then run the following fink commands from the terminal:
fink selfupdate; fink index; fink scanpackages

fink install kdewebdev3

or fink install kdebase3 if you want kde too

I'm assuming you already know that X11 is required too. I used Apple's
X11 package, and had to also install the X11 dev tools to compile.

There are various ways to make it easier to launch quanta in OS X
Easiest being add to the X11 application menu, or just create a symlink
on your desktop.

Compiling takes forever!!!!! At least on my 400Mhz G3!
I'm actually recompiling now, and it's been going since yesterday morning.

It was very easy though. Fink uses dpkg and apt so it feels like /home

I did have some errors compiling this time, but they were mainly because
I was compiling kde, kdewebdev, and all required dependencies at once.
It was easily fixed by installing the package that gave the error by it
self, then returning to the bulk install. That of course was nicely
detected, and explained by fink.

HTH, Let me know if I missed anything you were after.

Chris