List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 4475] Re: Multipath with OSPF
From:       "Andrew J. Schorr" <aschorr () telemetry-investments ! com>
Date:       2006-11-14 14:53:26

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 09:44:19AM -0200, Adriano Carvalho wrote:
> Thanks for the reply too.The big problem is that I need of dynamics routes.
> The priority is link redundance.
> And sorry, I can´t show to you the output of "ip route ls", because I´m not
> with the machines here, they are at my homework.
> But I´m sure: when the zebra and ospfd are up, the route with 2 gateways and
> weight 1 for each one keeps up too, something like:
> 10.0.5.0/24 ..... proto zebra ... metric 510
>         nexthop via 172.16.0.2  dev eth1 weight 1
>         nexthop via 172.16.0.6  dev eth2 weight 1

That looks about right.  So you should be getting basic linux ECMP
behavior.  Check here for more info:

   http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html#AEN298

If you really want to balance equally over the 2 links, you could
use teql as discussed here:

   http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.loadshare.html

But that may jeopardize your reliability, since you would have
to run OSPF over teql, and it would be difficult to ascertain
whether each underlying link was up.  But if you can rely
on kernel link-detect, teql may work fine for you.

Regards,
Andy