List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 4474] Re: Multipath with OSPF
From:       "Adriano Carvalho" <adriano.carvalho () urbi ! com ! br>
Date:       2006-11-14 11:44:19

> > Ive seen the patch for multipath done by pch, and Ive tried with 0.99.5 and
> > 0.99.4. It doesnt work. The commands "multipath" or "show multipath" doesnt
> > appear, and it keeps the route cached.
> >
> > Im using Debian 3.1, with kernel 2.6.18.2 compiled by me. Support for
> > Multipath is built-in, and RR, DRR, Random and wRandom are as modules.
> > The options used are these below:
> > --sysconfdir=/etc/quagga --disable-ipv6 --enable-ospfd --enable-ripd
> > --enable-netlink --enable-tcp-zebra --enable-zebra --enable-multipath=8
> > --enable-user=nobody --enable-group=nogroup
> >
> When you compiling quagga 0.99.5 , with mulitpath , check if you
> have file /usr/include/linux/ip_mpl_alg.h - it is needed , and
> RTA_MP_ALGO in /usr/include/linux/rtnetlink.h. Of course on begining
> refresh autotools stuff - run - update-autotools.
> Some additional resources:
>
> http://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-users/2006-October/007637.html
> http://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-users/2006-October/007643.html
> http://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-users/2006-October/007682.html

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply Piotr, and for the additional resources.
I´ve been read all your posts and all these resources before post here. And
I´ve checked all before it. I have file ip_mpl_alg.h, and rtnetlink.h has
RTA_MP_ALGO. They are in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include too.
The only thing that I dont have is autotools (autoconf, automake in the debian
get a error). So, I´ve made by the tradicional way (./configure with that
options that I´ve posted, make && make install). May be the problem is here ?

> Besides that I think it want help you with your problem , you need
> multipath for packets in forwarding path , with my patch you will
> have only partial multipath for packets originated from local
> sockets .

Yes, and I was thinking about that. Your patch works only for local socket,
right ? If I have a traffic from 10.0.4.0/24 to 10.0.5.0/24, the route will be
cached, and the multipath won´t work, right ? So, I think there´s no way ! Any
idea ? I need both ,link redundance and load balance, but link redundance is
priority.

>Also, I would think that basic linux ECMP flow-based routing
>should work by default (without the special multipath patch).  Is
>it not working for you?  Perhaps your tests did not check this
>capability?

>You may want to sure the output of "/sbin/ip route ls" with us
>to make things clearer...
>Regards,
>Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply too.The big problem is that I need of dynamics routes.
The priority is link redundance.
And sorry, I can´t show to you the output of "ip route ls", because I´m not
with the machines here, they are at my homework.
But I´m sure: when the zebra and ospfd are up, the route with 2 gateways and
weight 1 for each one keeps up too, something like:
10.0.5.0/24 ..... proto zebra ... metric 510
        nexthop via 172.16.0.2  dev eth1 weight 1
        nexthop via 172.16.0.6  dev eth2 weight 1

Thanks for the help..

Best regards,

--
Adriano Carvalho.